Just bought ammo at Wally World - Got asked a weird question

I know, I know, those of you who know me may go ahead and give me crap for buying at Wally World, I deserve it. :oops:

Let me explain. Two years ago my son was given a wally world gift card for his birthday. Not being Walmart shoppers we haven't had an opportunity to use it. Mini-me has recently gotten into Pokemon and needed school supplies. We all have the week off, it's raining cats and dogs and the housekeeper comes on Tuesday morning, so we decided to go out for breakfast. The restaurant is right next to Walmart. My wife and I are heading to the range tomorrow, so buying some ammo made sense.

Blah, blah...

When I checked out, 200rds 9mm and 100 .22LR, the cashier asked me if i was going to use this in a handgun? I said no and the sale went through.

Has anyone else been asked this question? Anyone know why it might be asked?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: Just bought ammo at Wally World - Got asked a weird ques

Laws frequently make little sense. Pistol ammo may require an ID check to show you are over 21. I have socks older than that, and sometimes have to show an ID for .22 ammo. May be law, may be store policy, may be an employee in need of training, may be a flawed computer program in the cash register.
They never notice the bulge at the 3pm position on my belt, or I might make the evening news. I could just tap the pistol and say, yes, it goes in this.

Ammo is ammo, and Wally world frequently has the best price on 9mm. Be a fool to pay more than necessary.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

It's a standard question all sporting goods stores should be asking when selling 22lr ammo.

From the ATF's website:

Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the Gun Control Act (GCA), shotguns and rifles, and ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 18 years of age or older. All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older. Licensees are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA regardless of State or local law. However, if State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age for the purchase or disposition of firearms, the licensee must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and (b)(2); 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

curtism1234 wrote:It's a standard question all sporting goods stores should be asking when selling 22lr ammo.

From the ATF's website:

Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the Gun Control Act (GCA), shotguns and rifles, and ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 18 years of age or older. All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older. Licensees are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA regardless of State or local law. However, if State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age for the purchase or disposition of firearms, the licensee must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and (b)(2); 27 CFR 478.99(b)]
That's a, shall we say, zealous interpretation. And I totally believe it accurate. Ye gods.

It's Wal Mart... I've been carded/asked my age for alcohol, ammo, spray paint, cleaning supplies, lighter fluid, and model rocket engines. (Back when they still carried that kind of thing.) All things, minus the alcohol and maybe the ammo, I've purchased from other stores with no concern over my age.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail