How does Sig Sauer Self-Defense Ammo Compare to Speer?

Last night I just ordered a couple of boxes of Sig Sauer 9mm 124 JHP self-defense ammo from Bud's because it was about $5.50 cheaper than Speer Gold Dot.
Anybody have any experience with both of these? I've shot a few rounds of Speer, just to see what it was like (ranges here don't like you shooting HP) and didn't notice much difference. Sig seems to make good ammo, but I'm wondering what others think. The difference for 2 boxes pays for a box of 115 FMJ!

Thanks, everyone!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: How does Sig Sauer Self-Defense Ammo Compare to Speer?

YankeeTarheel wrote:Last night I just ordered a couple of boxes of Sig Sauer 9mm 124 JHP self-defense ammo from Bud's because it was about $5.50 cheaper than Speer Gold Dot.
Anybody have any experience with both of these? I've shot a few rounds of Speer, just to see what it was like (ranges here don't like you shooting HP) and didn't notice much difference. Sig seems to make good ammo, but I'm wondering what others think. The difference for 2 boxes pays for a box of 115 FMJ!

Thanks, everyone!
I've seen the Sig defensive ammo on sale in quite a few places. That's smells of "discontinued" and retailers are selling out their backstock. I could be wrong, but that's what you do when you want to get rid of it without totally eating the wholesale cost you bought it at.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Re: How does Sig Sauer Self-Defense Ammo Compare to Speer?

AZAndy wrote:According to the exhaustive tests at https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-d ... tic-tests/, they're about the same performance-wise. When I carry 9mm, it's loaded with the Sig V-Crowns, 'cause it's less expensive.
Thanks!
That's what I suspected. Sig's ammo rep is supposed to be very, very good. And I'm happy it's the equal to Speer Gold Dot for 2/3 the price, since I don't expect to shoot it much, unlike 115gr FMJ.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."