Re: Thoughts on EAA Witness Pavona as a gift?

Yeah, he needs to have more range time to feel out what kind of gun will work best for him. Otherwise you are buying him an expensive paperweight.

Also consider Revolvers... my personal favorite when it comes to foolproof SD guns.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Thoughts on EAA Witness Pavona as a gift?

Bang wrote:Concealed carry classes in Utah do not involve handling guns. In fact, no guns that did not belong to the instructor and no ammunition at all were allowed in the classroom when I got mine.

I'm going to try and get him to come out shooting with me a bit more and try to develop some hand strength just by practicing. I'll also suggest we try out different guns to see if he's able to manipulate larger or smaller guns. A revolver might be what's needed, but we'll have to figure out what will work if he remains interested.
Classes for UT concealed carry are offered in CA and IIRC they required range time. It could have been something the instructor added or they often combine training requirements to get two or three state cc licenses from one training class. UT, AZ and FL are popular in CA.

More time on the range is a good idea. Hand exercises and dry firing are helpful to increase hand strength and feel comfortable shooting. If he's not comfortable with shooting, doesn't like the thought of carrying a gun or changing his wardrobe to accommodate carrying, or using it in a threatening situation it may not be the right time.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan