.32 H&R Magnum- The adventure begins

After picking up the revolver when the usual waiting period expires, I got out for a brief shoot. I tested three .32 H&R Magnum loads today in my new to me Ruger SP-101.

All with the Sierra 90 Grain Sportsmaster jacketed bullet...cause that's all I have at the moment. The soft, flat, lead nose deforms easily in the bullet seating die. This requires that you spend some time tweaking the case flaring die setting so that you don't need to push hard to seat the bullet. When the flaring die is set correctly, and you seat the bullet consistently and gently, you add a nice looking radius to the bullet's metplat.

I wasn't able to assess accuracy very well, new gun and all. But from what I saw, there is great accuracy potential. The loads:

3.3 Grains of Titegroup.- A well balanced load for the size of the SP101.

9.5 Grains IMR 4227- A mid-range magnum powder load. A satisfying magnum-level "BANG" and fireball without much recoil. Some unburned powder, so magnum primer and/or a tighter crimp next time.

11.5 Grains LilGun- is the highest velocity powder published for the .32 H&R. 11.5 grains is the starting load. Even Bigger Flash And Bang, but still rather moderate recoil. Less unburned powder that IMR 4227, but still looks like it needs a magnum primer/ tight crimp.

No pressure signs on the magnum loads, so it's time to turn up the heat! I can't wait to chronograph the hot LilGun load. I will be developing a .357 Mag load in LilGun as well, for when I'd like to emulate a fire-breathing dragon.

Other bullets are on the way... 100 grain semi-wadcutter, 50 Grain Leigh defense lead free, 98 grain HBWC... fun, Fun FUN!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Re: .32 H&R Magnum- The adventure begins

eelj wrote:Have you done any research on the use of Lil'gun? I found it heats up my BFR to uncomfortable levels where as 110 and 296 does not.

Bob Baker the pres of Freedom Arms ran a series of tests using one of their very expensive 357s and was able to burn out the barrel and forcing cone in very short order.
Somehow that makes sense since the lil gun loadings are high velocity for the cartridge. I wonder what bullet they were running? Might make sense to scale back on that plan. The hot loads in lil gun or any other powder, I would reserve for occasional magnum jollies....

Mostly I will be shooting will be very moderate 100 grain wadcutter and semi wadcutter lead bullet loads with tite group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eelj wrote:Have you done any research on the use of Lil'gun? I found it heats up my BFR to uncomfortable levels where as 110 and 296 does not.

Bob Baker the pres of Freedom Arms ran a series of tests using one of their very expensive 357s and was able to burn out the barrel and forcing cone in very short order.
I've also found a lot of reasonable-sounding people who post concerns about Lil'Gun in revolvers. It's fun and gives fantastic velocities, but I'm falling in line and only shooting these VERY sparingly in my GP100. Meaning I've done it once, with just one cylinder-full IIRC. Awesome in my lever gun, though, except that they shoot almost a foot high due to needing a taller front sight!

Usually the full-on magnum solution is to go with H110, which gives roughly the same velocities with no rumors of weird effects on the gun. Not sure that applies to the .32 H&R, though, since it doesn't allow the pressure of other magnums that is supposed to be where H110 thrives. Probably why Hodgdon's website shows no data for it.

Since all the other powders cluster fairly close together in Hodgdon's data, it seems like either you can eke out a few extra FPS with Longshot or just go with what you like the smell of or need to burn up. Based on my experience in .357, 4227 will always leave a trail of breadcrumbs down the barrel, but try a magnum primer with it anyway.

Jeez, Western can't be bothered to produce ANY data for the .32 H&R. The poor caliber must be even more unfashionable than I thought.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Yep, it's an oddball cartridge, I suppose that's why I am here..lol.

After digesting the information posted in this thread about LilGun, I think it may well be a rifle or single shot load. Although it also goes to say that the hotter .327 Federal mag standard loads would accelerate the forcing cone and barrel wear issue even more. I'll ping Ruger about this and get their take on the SP-101, hot loads, and LilGun.

drigeba wrote:Yep, it's an oddball cartridge, I suppose that's why I am here..lol.
Me too
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

drigeba wrote:Yep, it's an oddball cartridge, I suppose that's why I am here..lol.

After digesting the information posted in this thread about LilGun, I think it may well be a rifle or single shot load. Although it also goes to say that the hotter .327 Federal mag standard loads would accelerate the forcing cone and barrel wear issue even more. I'll ping Ruger about this and get their take on the SP-101, hot loads, and LilGun.
The tests done by Freedom Arms concluded with the fact that Lil'Gun having 10% more nitro glycerin being the cause.

When Hornaday developed the powder they were looking for a powder for the 410 shotgun case. Another powder you could research for magnum velocity is #9, I have a little experience with it in the 357 and it is very similar to 2400.

I have always been fascinated with the load but in a totally different direction than you, I would like a Single six Bisley with a 5.5" barrel and adjustable sight to use for plinking and small game hunting, it would be loaded to 32L velocities.

I looked in the old Speer #13 manual and they have some data for the AA# powders. However, that's from 1998, and my understanding is that those powders aren't even made on the same continent now as back then, so maybe that data is a little dubious.

Contradicting my concern above, there is a load for H110/296. Lyman 49th has one, too. I still think it's spooky using that powder at this low a pressure.

There is a table in Lyman for that 90 grain Sierra bullet. Want me to post a photo of it? Like in the data on the Hodgdon website, there's not a huge variation in velocities for the various powders with any given bullet. It seems like .32 H&R is the cartridge that always gives the same speed.

Buck13 wrote:I looked in the old Speer #13 manual and they have some data for the AA# powders. However, that's from 1998, and my understanding is that those powders aren't even made on the same continent now as back then, so maybe that data is a little dubious.

Contradicting my concern above, there is a load for H110/296. Lyman 49th has one, too. I still think it's spooky using that powder at this low a pressure.

There is a table in Lyman for that 90 grain Sierra bullet. Want me to post a photo of it? Like in the data on the Hodgdon website, there's not a huge variation in velocities for the various powders with any given bullet. It seems like .32 H&R is the cartridge that always gives the same speed.
That would be super! I'm always wanting to expand my analog database of load tables....the big red binder on my bench!

Yep it looks like most loads top out around 1100. Good because somehow the load might not be that picky, confusing to isolate one powder from another based on merit...

:beer2:

senorgrand wrote:How do you like the Ruger itself? Thinking of one in 357...
I like the way it doesn't feel small when you shoot it. Even with the hottest loads I have shot it the recoil feels controlled. That might be because I have the 4" barrel. A shorter barrel might have more oomph. It's a solid little revolver, nothing spindly about it.

Most of the loads I have shot are in the .38 special range for velocity and energy. So it's my guess that the .357 will be well behaved with .38 Special. Shooting full house .357 magnum loads might be a different story.

The only thing I need to get used to is the short grip, since it's a J-frame, carry gun style. If already have spent time with a J-Frame you will have already have sorted out your grip on a small framed gun. The grip that comes with it is very functional, but frankly, butt-ugly. This may become my first project to make a custom wood grip for a handgun. There may be a Pachmayr combat style grip that will still be black rubber, but slightly more stylish and at least as functional in the meantime...

Next time we shoot together I should have it with me, but remind me to be sure...

drigeba wrote:
senorgrand wrote:How do you like the Ruger itself? Thinking of one in 357...
I like the way it doesn't feel small when you shoot it. Even with the hottest loads I have shot it the recoil feels controlled. That might be because I have the 4" barrel. A shorter barrel might have more oomph. It's a solid little revolver, nothing spindly about it.

Most of the loads I have shot are in the .38 special range for velocity and energy. So it's my guess that the .357 will be well behaved with .38 Special. Shooting full house .357 magnum loads might be a different story.

The only thing I need to get used to is the short grip, since it's a J-frame, carry gun style. If already have spent time with a J-Frame you will have already have sorted out your grip on a small framed gun. The grip that comes with it is very functional, but frankly, butt-ugly. This may become my first project to make a custom wood grip for a handgun. There may be a Pachmayr combat style grip that will still be black rubber, but slightly more stylish and at least as functional in the meantime...

Next time we shoot together I should have it with me, but remind me to be sure...
Cool! I just ordered one in 357 and a Hogue monogrip to go with it!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

drigeba wrote:
Buck13 wrote: There is a table in Lyman for that 90 grain Sierra bullet. Want me to post a photo of it?
That would be super! I'm always wanting to expand my analog database of load tables....the big red binder on my bench!
OK, I started a thread in the Reloading subforum. I didn't include cast data, but now that I look at your other threads and see you have some cast bullets, too, I'll try to remember to add a table from the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook.

Well I am getting closer. I ordered Starline brass in 32 H&R last night, along with some 32 Xtreme Cavitator bullets from LeHigh. That bullet weighs 50 grains and is a little short. Lehigh says the overall length should be 1.350". Anyone have any recommendations for loads?
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 3336852996

EDIT: this will be fired from an AirLite Ti snubby Jframe, with 2 inch barrel. Thanks
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I just got a couple boxes of the 50 grain Leigh bullet as well. I'm looking at the Hornady 60 grain XTP data as a starting point. I'll load probably do a few at starting load and a few a couple points higher and watch for any weirdness... Given how short the bullets are, we'll see if 1.350 is doable.

A quick look at COAL for the 50 grain cavitator. It seats nicely in the cannelure provided. But there isn't much bullet inside the case. My sense of the rule of thumb is: the bullet is seated into the case at least the distance of the size of the bullet. Its probably time for a seating depth test. But in the meantime i'll use a full roll crimp when seating for 1.350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd move to a fast powder for those 50gr. I developed a 60gr JHP round for the .32H&R and was getting a good sized fireball with Unique, but at least the bullet started moving well. Slower powders didn't do much even after cramming the case with what I thought was too much powder, and of course there's no published data for very light bullets so you are on your own. With a 4" barrel you should be able to easily get it to 1400fps using Unique or Bullseye.

After playing the Quickload a bit, Bullseye, AA#5, Zip, N330 all look about right. HP38/231 is also the right speed, but I wouldn't recommend it because of my experience with it in .32 cases being too position sensitive.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

From a centrefire cartridge newbie - how does 32 H&R stack up relative to 38 Special for recoil? My experience with centrefire handguns is limited to a 380 Beretta 84, a 38 special LCR, and a 125 year old revolver with light loads as it was originally a black-powder cartridge.

The 380's grips were killing a bone spur in my thumb, the 38 Spec was too light and too kicky for my use (range toys only here) and the old girl is just plain fin., but pricey to shoot custom ammo.... Always looking for something else and the 32 H&R sounded interesting.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:From a centrefire cartridge newbie - how does 32 H&R stack up relative to 38 Special for recoil? My experience with centrefire handguns is limited to a 380 Beretta 84, a 38 special LCR, and a 125 year old revolver with light loads as it was originally a black-powder cartridge.

The 380's grips were killing a bone spur in my thumb, the 38 Spec was too light and too kicky for my use (range toys only here) and the old girl is just plain fin., but pricey to shoot custom ammo.... Always looking for something else and the 32 H&R sounded interesting.
You have expressed an interest in reloading before, by reloading you can create very easy recoiling ammo in cartridges like the 500 Linebaugh if you wanted too. I have shot 38 wadcutter target ammo by the 1000s over the years, I have found it to be very pleasant, I have also shot 32 caliber wadcutter target ammo where the bullet weighs 50grs less at the same velocity and found it's recoil to be comparable too 22 shorts. For a range toy a bare minimum 4" barreled revolver with target sights and grips that are comfortable, shooting target ammo would be your best shooting experience ever.

Oh it's milder because the weight of the slug is less. Actual numbers are probably 30-40% less total recoil than a .38 at the same energies. However the raw recoil momentum numbers don't really capture the "snappiness" of small bullets at high velocities, but my experience has been heavier (higher energy) loads are easier out of the .32.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.