Tried some Lead Free ammo

Reviews and discussion of handgun ammo.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

Tried some Lead Free ammo

Post by MaxWyatt »

I went to an indoor range last week. They require lead free ammo. I should have made a note of the brand/type and will next time I'm there. The 22LR was CCI copper and rated at around 1800FPS with 21 grain bullets. I had one failure to feed in my MK ii, but otherwise the ammo cycled fine. However the groups weren't that great, even at 30ft. I normally use CCI standard or Aguila 'standard' (the ~1100 fps blue box). I've found that this pistol prefers 40gr ammo at around ~1100, so right about the sonic threshold. Mini mags, Stingers or other higher velocity ammo just doesn't seem to do as well. For 9mm and 380, the range carried a brand that I was unfamiliar with. 65gr bullets for the 9mm and high velocity ~1600 fps? they grouped fairly well, but POI was high compared to my regular POA. I tried five different .380's so have less to say about that process except that the tiny Ruger LCP I rented was easily the best shooter of the bunch, including my Bersa 383a. I was pleasantly surprised by that outcome since I've been entertaining the possibility of getting one to carry.

I definitely will go back and I like the idea of shooting lead free. They have several brands of lead free ammo that they deem acceptable, including the Winchester SuperClean that I've seen on local shelves. I may try that next time. Not sure what to do about the 22lr though.....

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Tried some Lead Free ammo

Post by MaxWyatt »

The lead free 9mm ammo I tried at the indoor range was RMP Inceptor. I compared it to 115gr UMC at my regular range today and confirmed that it shot a little high and with a looser pattern. I shot from a 'rest" to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. Interestingly enough, the holes from the lead free ammo were noticeably larger. It's frangible, I wonder if it's already disintegrating on impact. seems unlikely.... but I don't have a better explanation at the moment.
LeadFree9mm.jpg

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

By July of 2019 all California hunting must be done with non lead. Since there are more hunters in California than there are people in Idaho, bullet manufacturers will make all kinds of ammo for us. Barnes and Hornady have good offerings, and they sell their bullets to other ammo makers. More will join--like Remington, who has copper slugs and sabot rounds for shot guns.

I reviewed the copper .22 here

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=48677

and I found the same accuracy issues as you did out of my MKII. I have yet to shoot it out of my rifle. I think the light bullet and fast speed would require a long barrel to stabilize. Dang. Must do more experiments. hehe

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

Benredbeard
Helpful Contributor

Post by Benredbeard »

FWIW the copper 168gr is one of my 30-06's favorite slugs, I think they're loaded by Nosler but have to check.