Eley subsonic ammo out of a Ruger Mark IV

I had a ton of problems today with Eley subsonic hp ammo at the range. Failures to eject, weak ejections and failures to fire. Out of 50 rounds roughly half of them had some sort of problem. Fiocchi Aguila and Blazer ran okay but the subsonic stuff just seemed to be a problem child.

Anyone have experience with Eley? Maybe I simply got a bad batch or I cannot use subsonic ammo in the mark iv? I know 22lr is by nature somewhat unreliable but this seemed extreme.

Re: Eley subsonic ammo out of a Ruger Mark IV

Eley sub is target or hunting ammo for single shots. If you want to shoot sub sonic in a semi auto.22lr, you have to increase the bullet weight or change the recoil spring to match the lighter energy. Most semi's are set to handle 36 to 40 grainers at around 1200 to 1300 fps. Eley is about 38 gr but 1000 fps. E=1/2 MV^2, so velocity is the more important component.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

As the other poster said, subsonic will usually/often give you problems out of a semi-auto. You might want to try CCI if you're needing to run subsonic (if you can find it). Otherwise, shoot something running at least 1200fps out of the muzzle and you shouldn't have any issue.

There are mods you can make to run your MK4 lighter/sub ammo. I think Tandemkross and Volquartson each make a kid to do that.

Yeah, that. My only concern about CD's explanation is the FTFs. That sounds like primer problems on top of the lack of recoil. Someone here once mentioned that rimfire primers can settle when stored horizontally, and it's best to keep them stored vertically if you can. Then again, I've had similar issues with CCI stored vertical for a couple months, so what do I know?

Mine is a little fussy but prefers Velocitors over everything else. They're loud for .22LR, but they give me the best groups. I've never tried Eley, but CCI subsonics shoot fine for me.