Re: Beretta Neos 22

tom wrote:If anyone on this forum has one, please tell me your experience with it, educate me as i am thinking of buying one.
I don't have one, but I did try one out. The grip angle was too much for me - I finished up with a 22/45 as that felt better.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Been contemplating the Neos myself - it would be nice with a .22 pistol that's more targety than my P22, ideally a a Walther GSP (which I've shot before) but I could buy half a dozen surplus guns for what those go for...

A Ruger Mark III would be the obvious choice but I like guns that are kinda left field :think:

I've tried one. It was OK, kind of a weird feel, but it functioned just fine, one or two FTE in 200 rounds or so. Very light recoil.

Although I just saw that S&W unveiled a new .22 at Shot Show, the Victory. Looks like a Mark III type, MSRP $429, less on the street. I might be tempted to try that, especially if field stripping it is easier than what I hear about the mark III.
For all the compasses in all the world, there is but one direction and time is its only measure. -- Tom Stoppard

JohnGradyCole wrote:I've tried one. It was OK, kind of a weird feel, but it functioned just fine, one or two FTE in 200 rounds or so. Very light recoil.

Although I just saw that S&W unveiled a new .22 at Shot Show, the Victory. Looks like a Mark III type, MSRP $429, less on the street. I might be tempted to try that, especially if field stripping it is easier than what I hear about the mark III.
I'm getting a S&W victory. I'm hoping I can pick it up tomorrow. I got put on hold. :evil: :thumbdown:
22 plinckster did a video on it.
I can say it feels good on the hand and the fiberoptic sights seem to be nice.

I've got an older one, but not first series, and really enjoy it. Pretty darn accurate with the 6in barrel. Never shot the 4in. The long rail makes it great if you are thinking of a red dot or optics. What has really impressed me compared to some other 22 pistols at the range I go to is that it will feed and cycle anything I give it after "break in" using 10-20 mini mags. I mean this thing cycles fine with CCI Quiets. Trigger is acceptable, but not great. There's a fix for that though. And if you look hard, you can find the cool carbine conversion stock. :o
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

If you search this forum for Beretta Neos, you'll find I've had a love/hate relationship with one. Lost story short, the grips were too small for my hands which made proper cycling problematic.

Pros:
Cheap, you won't find top branded 22LR pistol for much less
Easy-peasy to disassemble.
Integrated rail
Lightweight
Carbine-option (granted the kit costs about as much as a used Neos)

Cons:
-Goofy looking. I liked the ray-gun aspect but quickly decided it's not a proper training tool and bought an M&P22 to compliment my M&P9.
-No threaded barrel option
-Blade sights suck for bad eyes and offer no contrast. There are aftermarket glo sights available
-Can be finicky with ammo. I chalk up most of my issues to the grips and the slide not properly cycling due my hand riding way too high. The last time I took it to the range I wore gloves to avoid slide-bite.

I would try the gamut of other sub-$400 22LR pistols before going with one. I have the M&P22 and it's awesome. Bomb-proof, accurate, after market goodies for miles, and it feeds anything I put through it. It also has a threaded barrel and 12-round mags.

-Smith M&P22
-Sig Mosquito
-Ruger SR22
-Ruger 22/45
-Ruger MkIII
-Walther P22

All that said as mentioned above, the new Smith Victory just came out and looks awesome. :thumbup:
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:If you search this forum for Beretta Neos, you'll find I've had a love/hate relationship with one. Lost story short, the grips were too small for my hands which made proper cycling problematic.
Dammit, that's my issue with the P22, it's just so damn tiny. I hate that manufacturers tend to make .22 versions (more or less) of their centerfire guns 80-90% the size of their counterparts. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a matching rimfire for cheap practice.

Maybe I should just get the conversion kit for the Witness.

TheViking wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:If you search this forum for Beretta Neos, you'll find I've had a love/hate relationship with one. Lost story short, the grips were too small for my hands which made proper cycling problematic.
Dammit, that's my issue with the P22, it's just so damn tiny. I hate that manufacturers tend to make .22 versions (more or less) of their centerfire guns 80-90% the size of their counterparts. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a matching rimfire for cheap practice.

The palm swell on the M&P22 is nearly identical to the M&P9. Funny, since both the M&P22 and P22 are both made by Walther you'd think they'd do their own with similar consideration. :?
LGC Texas - Vice President

Thanks guys, i have a single action Roughrider and a HP22A, both fine guns that cycle sv ammo with no problem, i like the " space gun " style of the Neos, just because it's different, plus i can get it with a 6 inch barrel, i had a Ruger 2245 MK3 that i gifted to my daughter a few years ago, it was the first time i ever heard her curse, repeatedly, while cleaning a gun, she finally put an end to that by buying the Majestic kit for it and having a local gunsmith install it, no more cursing.

Back to the Neos, i like the easy take down for cleaning feature, i will have to go to my gun pusher to try the grip to see if i like it, and that it can cycle nearly all 22 ammo is a big plus ,as mini mags are too damn costly to use on a steady basis, so i guess a trip to the gun shop is in order soon.
Chromebook, the only way to fly.

The grip angle looks a little more steep than the Ruger MKII, which fits me very well. The Neo sure looks space age, all Buck Rogers like the Enfield No. 1 Mk.III* looks all steam punk to me.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

TheViking wrote:

<Psssst!> Beretta 87.....

Add a 10-round mag for the 87 Target, and you get a little etra room for your pinky (not in photo). I wear XL gloves and it fits my hand beautifully, plus being a lust-worthy gun to begin with not like that floozy Neos... :)

SailDesign wrote:
TheViking wrote:

Add a 10-round mag for the 87 Target, and you get a little etra room for your pinky (not in photo). I wear XL gloves and it fits my hand beautifully, plus being a lust-worthy gun to begin with not like that floozy Neos... :)

Holy Hell, they want over $700 for one of them. :yikes:

tom wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
TheViking wrote:

<snip pic>
Holy Hell, they want over $700 for one of them. :yikes:
Guilty, I'm afraid.... :D

Made it to the gun shop today, got to handle a 4 inch and 6 inch Neos, 4 inch has good balance, 6 inch, not so much, what kills it for me is the grip, it's just to small for me, no matter how i held it, i could just not get comfortable with it, oh well, so much for a Neos purchase, I did handle a few others and the only one that actually fit and felt like it was a part of my hand was a, EAA Bounty Hunter, 22/22mag, with a 6.75 inch barrel, my Rough Rider felt small in comparison, the BH has a full size frame, that makes the difference, also it has a transfer bar for the hammer, i like that, i must investigate this revolver some more.

I want to thank all of you who have posted on this topic, as you help me learn by your experiences. :thumbup:

Bucolic wrote:An interesting question to ponder: beauty may be in there of the beholder but what, in your opinion, makes a gun pretty?
Wasn't addressed to me, but I'll chime in. The wooden grips are primary. I like a nice matte stainless finish, but it's not mandatory. I love the open slide on Berettas. I prefer guns (like women) to have curves rather than angles. That's why I can't do Glocks.
Sigs are bad for you.

Bucolic wrote:An interesting question to ponder: beauty may be in there of the beholder but what, in your opinion, makes a gun pretty?
No one answered, so what the heck.

Looking at that little pistol above, there's balance in the design, an equilibrium between functional features
and aesthetic features. It's little, so it has that going for it too. I'm a wood guy, so the wood is nice.
Curves and angles tastefully balanced. Length height breadth balanced. Dark blue and no scratches. Pretty.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack