Good enough and cheap enough

I have found .22LR ammo that I think is better, but for a practice round Federal AutoMatch seems to work fine. It works in my bolt action CZ rifle and in my CZ semi-auto handgun.

At $18.99 it's hard not to pickup a box when passing by the local sporting goods store. It performed adequately and landed near enough to my point of aim for practice purposes. At 325 rounds to a box it's hard to empty one in a single sitting.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Good enough and cheap enough

I've mentioned it before but it causes burst fire in my Remington 597, I've had several double taps with it, only ammo that I've used that does it. It's not quite powerful enough to lock the hammer back every time but it's soft and sensitive enough that the hammer following the bolt forward is enough to set it off half the time.

Works just fine in the MK II and P22.

Simmer down wrote:I imagine the bolt action is not picky at all considering all it needs is to fully seat and hit the rim.
Yep, it doesn't care at all. Every .22LR I've put in it has gone bang.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

TheViking wrote:I've mentioned it before but it causes burst fire in my Remington 597, I've had several double taps with it, only ammo that I've used that does it. It's not quite powerful enough to lock the hammer back every time but it's soft and sensitive enough that the hammer following the bolt forward is enough to set it off half the time.

Interesting problem. How is the design of your Remington rifle different from a Ruger 10/22?

sikacz wrote:
TheViking wrote:I've mentioned it before but it causes burst fire in my Remington 597, I've had several double taps with it, only ammo that I've used that does it. It's not quite powerful enough to lock the hammer back every time but it's soft and sensitive enough that the hammer following the bolt forward is enough to set it off half the time.

Interesting problem. How is the design of your Remington rifle different from a Ruger 10/22?
The bolt rides on two steel rods without touching the receiver but the trigger mechanism is pretty similar.

The Auto Match rounds just have that "perfect" recoil balance where the bolt will go back far enough to eject the case and chamber a new round but not enough that the hammer notch is engaged by the sear - and, as mentioned, soft and sensible enough that the hammer falling from not-quite-cocked is enough to set them off.

When they don't go off, it gets a FTF since the hammer is forward. Feed is flawless, though.

The rifle definitely prefers high velocity ammo and will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards off a rest - with the El Cheapo Remington branded scope.

I think the overall quality, how it's made, is pretty high compared to others - say Thunderbolt.

That being said, they have never shot very well in any of my rifles. I think I've stated before here that I wish they would have a metal coating instead of just lead. I think it's main problem is getting scarred from cycling.

But as with any 22 ammo, whatever works in your gun.

I had this problem as well.

I can get it to work with a reduced power recoil spring. I would buy it for $19 a box, but in the current market I would not pay the $22-$23 I see too often.

curtism1234 wrote:I think the overall quality, how it's made, is pretty high compared to others - say Thunderbolt.
There's a reason why I call Thunderbolt, "Ole Sparky". That stuff gets a bit scary when shooting it out of a semi-auto rifle and the ejection port is like....three inches from your face. :yucky:
LGC Texas - Vice President

The best part for me is that it's available locally and at an $18.99 price tag. I keep an eye out for premium stuff on sale as well, but to build up a .22LR ammo buffer it's great. My shooting talents are moderate and it hits the target.

Both of my semis like the stuff well enough- when 22 was commonly available (about the same time I was trudging through 6 feet of snow uphill to get to school it seems) I preferred to get it for the most part, as it was cheaper than CCI, and shot pretty well. And folks have shot billions of rounds of un-coated ammo. Don't really see that as a problem. Unless your semi is already prone to mangling ammo to begin with- the only times I've had it get mangled, wouldn't have mattered whether it was lead or copper coated.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou