Re: looking into a .22LR Handgun

Hey Tink, if you get your 22 revolver you should make the wrist adaptor like they use to for slow shooters ! Lower left on page...

Not good for quick draws, but could be fun to have. And get some looks too..

This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Hey Tink, if you get your 22 revolver you should make the wrist adaptor like they use to for slow shooters ! Lower left on page...

Put down the Dunlap before someone gets hurt.

Notice at J, in the 1950s the hotrod hand-built speed lock hammer mods looked like the design of the MIM hammers everyone complains about now.

Marlene wrote:
dandad wrote:Hey Tink, if you get your 22 revolver you should make the wrist adaptor like they use to for slow shooters ! Lower left on page...

Put down the Dunlap before someone gets hurt.

Notice at J, in the 1950s the hotrod hand-built speed lock hammer mods looked like the design of the MIM hammers everyone complains about now.

shit, you know your books.. :w00t:
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

For small game hunting, you'll find a semi-auto of equal barrel length should be* more accurate than a revolver. However, as noted, cheap ammo can cause all sorts of problems not to mention what cold weather can do to the cycling of some or many rimfires.

If you're looking for a true small game hunting revolver, you're looking at minimum a 6" barrel with strong preference to a 7 1/2". For a more bulky trail gun, I think you can find what you're looking for. For a true target revolver, I'm afraid you're going to have to double up your budget into the Single Six series at least - if not the new Single Nine type of varieties.

Hmmm... doesn't look particularly difficult to make...
"Aim for their foil beanies! It's the only way to be sure..."
https://tinkertalksguns.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/michael.t.pearce.7

curtism1234 wrote:For small game hunting, you'll find a semi-auto of equal barrel length should be* more accurate than a revolver. However, as noted, cheap ammo can cause all sorts of problems not to mention what cold weather can do to the cycling of some or many rimfires.

If you're looking for a true small game hunting revolver, you're looking at minimum a 6" barrel with strong preference to a 7 1/2". For a more bulky trail gun, I think you can find what you're looking for. For a true target revolver, I'm afraid you're going to have to double up your budget into the Single Six series at least - if not the new Single Nine type of varieties.
Exactly my thinking- while a good self-loader is better in a lot of ways the revolver is 'ammunition agnostic.' It's increasingly looking like a used Single-Six may be the way to go; our budget ought to stretch that far. The new ones, sadly, are out of reach this fall; too many other priorities.

Revolvers are complex to manufacture, so a good one will always be pricey.

Even so, the blued Single-Sixes are pretty reasonable. For D/A, either a SW 617 or a Ruger and a spring and trigger job. All .22 revolvers have a pretty heavy DA pull just because you need a pretty hard strike for rimfire. I would stay away from high capacity revolvers because of the need to clean the chambers and because the thicker timing cams on 6-shot models are more durable than the 10-shot models.
Yet she persisted.

I personally don't think you are going to get much of a 22LR revolver for around $200. Like they say you get what you pay for.
For the money I think the Ruger Single Six is a great revolver and for hunting you can get it in the 6.5 inch barrel. It is a six shooter and single action only, but pretty accurate for a pistol. It also comes with a 22 WMR cylinder. The all stainless steel model is really nice and there is a blued version with a 9.5 inch barrel, holy shit batman!

If you can afford it the S&W 22LR revolver is ideal and will last indefinitely. The model 617 is all stainless, a 10 shooter, and is both double and single action. I own the one with the 4 inch barrel and love it. These guns are pieces of art and are made with more care than most other revolvers. Wonderful triggers too.

Good luck!

Bobo, new LGC member
You can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - Abe Lincoln

In the long run if you are looking for a 22LR for hunting you can get some decent rifles for around $200 new like the Marlin Model 60 semi-auto and XT22 bolt action. Both rifles are fun to shoot. You will bag a lot more game with a rifle than a pistol.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - Abe Lincoln

Bobo wrote:In the long run if you are looking for a 22LR for hunting you can get some decent rifles for around $200 new like the Marlin Model 60 semi-auto and XT22 bolt action. Both rifles are fun to shoot. You will bag a lot more game with a rifle than a pistol.
True enough, but we have the rifle covered. We've put off any more handgun purchases for the moment; been focussing our resources on getting reloading set up.

Deep13 wrote:Revolvers are complex and, therefore, expensive. I'd suggest a Single-Ten from Ruger, but that is over your budget. For $200 you might be able to get a used auto pistol like a R. Mark2 Standard.
We actually found an old Colt Frontier Scout in nice shape at a decent price. Over budget, but what the hell.

If it has to be high capacity, then a Single-Ten. I greatly prefer the six-shot models because their timing is a bit more robust and you only have six chambers to clean. If you can find a used S&W model 17, that would be my preference. Otherwise, a Single-Six. They come with a .22WRM cylinder so if you even need a bit more power, you can have it.
Yet she persisted.

Y'all know my .22lr faves by now, but just to recap.

Thrashing around in the bushes, and it punches nice holes in paper - S&W Model 17 K-22 6"

Nice fun plinker and paper puncher (do not try to use low velocity or subsonics) - Colt Woodsman Series 3 6"

Shooting cockroaches (or paper punching) at 50 yards - Anschutz Exemplar 10"

As an owner of a Single Six convertible and a MKII 678 from Uncle Bill I think the 678 is much more accurate. The 678 is neck and neck with a stock 10/22. Of course most people refuse to embrace the zen that comes from field stripping a MKI, II or III Ruger. Once you master the knack of getting the $&^%(^$(^$( lever in the right place everything else will seem easy.

Cheers
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

You guys had me wondering how much a .22 revolver would run. The single six is, by my poor standard, pretty expensive (again, based solely on what I would be willing to spend). The only one I see that looks reasonable is the Heritage Rough Rider. However, I know nothing about its quality.

I have two of these TT-Olympias that I purchased about 30 years ago. They are still good plinkers. I will probably stick with them for a few more years.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40