CZ 455 Varmint first trip

Well, finally got it home on Friday evening. Went to fit the new Minox scope and ^%$#@ - too much eye relief - I need a 2"-plus cantilever to get it right. So on goes the old Sweet22 that was kicking around, and the bolt handle just clears. Phew!! 6-9x instead of 4-14, but I'm used to these scopes so all is good.

I had some CCI SV, Eley Target, Wolf Match Extra, Norma Match22 and Federal Match to test - after a 10-shot group with each, the Wolf and Eley seemed to be preferred. I didn't have enough Wolf with me to go much farther there, so I did a set of 4 5-shot groups (25 yards, bipod and shoulder, sitting) with these results. Can't give MOA as the shoot'n'see targets don't really lend themselves to that - but for a first outing I think I'll keep it. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
455 First target 2-12-17_resize.jpg

Re: CZ 455 Varmint first trip

Bucolic wrote:Ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhh!

I love those groups, Sail!

How's the bolt? My CZ was a little stiff initially but smoothed out after I manipulated it a couple hundred times. Nice and smooth now.
:)

Bolt felt a bit skeezy at first, but a little oil and working and it's getting there. Not butter-smooth like the 52's yet, but definitely better even after a modest 100 rounds or so.

Thing really shoots like a champ - the "test target" that came with it showed a 25yd group that was centre-to-centre 20mm (0.8") which was pretty underwhelming. So it was great to see some cohesion when I figured out what she liked. :)

highdesert wrote:That 455 is definitely a keeper! I'm looking at one of those for my next acquisition. Have Fun!
I intend to, :)

The real question now is should I get another barrel now for 22WMR, or do I get a whole new gun so I don't have to re-zero every time I switch?

Not enough $$$ in the bank right now, so it's kinda moot at this point. :)

SailDesign wrote:
highdesert wrote:That 455 is definitely a keeper! I'm looking at one of those for my next acquisition. Have Fun!
I intend to, :)

The real question now is should I get another barrel now for 22WMR, or do I get a whole new gun so I don't have to re-zero every time I switch?

Not enough $$$ in the bank right now, so it's kinda moot at this point. :)
Those are nice groups.
I love mine.
I was debating if I should get a 17HMR for it but decided to wait and get one or two magazines for it and maybe boyds stock and a bipod.

Day-um! But, honestly, I'm not surprised. I shoot a CZ452 FS Mannlicher with really excellent tangent sights at 3" targets at 50 yards and usually hit it. Or I shoot the same 3" targets at 100 yards with the CZ 453 American Varmint with set trigger and 40mm scope, usually hitting it.

Also, I shoot 6" targets at 200 yards with the CZ 527 FS in .223 using a 35ish mm scope (8x).
Yet she persisted.

I love my 455! I took the bolt apart and put a little Flitz and cloth to mine before I ever shot it. I could operate the bolt with my left thumb, which keeps my left index near the trigger. Before Flitz it would have been hard to.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:I love my 455! I took the bolt apart and put a little Flitz and cloth to mine before I ever shot it. I could operate the bolt with my left thumb, which keeps my left index near the trigger. Before Flitz it would have been hard to.
And that right there is the beauty of being left-handed in a right-handed world. I use a bipod (except on the 52B now) and the left hand stays on the pistol grip while the right hand works the bolt and feeds the rounds (single-shot adapter, coz I'm strange that way)

EDIT: My bolt has worn in nicely after a couple of hundred rounds.

Congratulations on getting such a great gun. I love CZ rifles!

The CZ 455 line are great rifles! I own the Varmint myself in 17 HMR and also have the 22 WMR barrel.
The 17 HMR definitely outshoots the 22 WMR out to 200 yds
I also love the Turkish walnut stock. What a beautiful gun for the price!

I also have the 22 LR CZ 455 Ultra Lux with the 28.5 inch barrel. Haven't shot it yet, but when the weather improves I am going to.

Happy shooting!
Bobo, new member
You can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - Abe Lincoln