Range report and explosion. :)

Well, today marked the first time the S&W 22-A1 went outdoors and had a serious workout. I had some CCI AR-Tactical (wooo....) some Federal Gold Medal and some Federal Auto-Match bulk. Also some SK Standard plus and 20 rounds of eley yellow in a partly-used box.

Luckily, it became very apparent that it really didn't care much what was in it as long as it was subsonic. And the supersonic (AR-Tac) was not far behind anyway. Happy, happy, joy, joy! I can use cheaper ammo without sacrificing accuracy unless I'm really being anal about things. No jams, no hiccups, no dropped mags due to the strange placement of the release button - flawless performance and maximum fun.

The explosion? Heh! That was one of the RSOs, and rightly so. I was at the DEM range, which requires the same short test on "How to shoot a gun" you need to take for a hunting license, and a safety briefing at the range to observe others and be taught the basics - mostly safety as it is assumed you will not need instruction on how to fire your own gun. Today, one of last weeks' incoming batch brought his AR-lookalike 22 down to practice, and decided in the middle of a "range is cold" period, to remove the rifle from the bench, swing it around so that we were all covered at some point, then (while the RSO was shouting at him to put it down and take his finger OUT of the trigger guard) swung it back the other way to put it in its case - which was pointing sideways along the firing line - covering us all again.

I have never seen an RSO completely purple in the face. He tore up the guy's range pass, swore on his mother's grave he would NEVER get another, and said if he saw him again even as a "guest" of someone at the range he wold kick him out...

I thought he was fairly restrained considering, but the rest of the morning was not as entertaining.

It is VERY rare to have this happen before 9:30 on a Sunday. That is the time when the safety briefing ends and the newbs can grab a gun out of their car and put their new passes to use. The "regulars" tend to move off the line to the shotgun area or the archery area then - just to be out of the firing line. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Re: Range report and explosion. :)

pokute wrote:If you had problems with the higher velocity ammo, the nylon recoil buffer may be missing. See: http://casualshooter.blogspot.com/2013/ ... n-22a.html
Thanks. First thing I did while waiting for the gun to get "out of jail" was to order up a 5-pack of those little beggars... :)

So far, it doesn't dislike anything, so my fingers are crossed. The recoil buffer looks a bit squished already, though.

EDIT: Since the Mk IV prefers the "hot" stuff, I'm going to save those for its exclusive use, and keep the SV for the 22-A. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.