First 22 LR

So, I'm thinking of my lack of 22 caliber, and how to fix it. A local Pawnshop has a S&W 22A-1 pistol that looks to have a good barrel. It comes with the manual, a receipt showing 2008, the manual, the case, 3 magazines, and a mini red dot already mounted. Cursory inspection shows that it needs to be cleaned, but, as noted, the barrel rifling looks good. They're asking $250 OTD. What say y'all..?

As far as I can ascertain this was the predecessor of the Victory...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Re: First 22 LR

22A is an excellent little gun. Easy to clean, the second time. Accurate. Mine eats anything I feed it. Best results were with a 30 year old box of hollow points.

There is a spring you have to corral when taking the gun apart, and a plastic recoil pad on the end of the pin. Read the manual. It is possible to break it so that it won't go back together.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Re: First 22 LR

I have one, it's a good shooter. Ruger's are better, but Mark I/II/III are a bitch to field strip - Mark IV is a breeze. The 22A is easy to field strip, but buy some recoil spacers they need to be replaced periodically. The slides on the Beretta Neos (22 lr) can be swapped - 4" or 6" which is a nice feature. GSG (German Sports Guns) makes some 22lr pistols, they also sell under the American Tactical label. The price you were quoted is about what I paid new maybe 10 years ago. Honestly I'd rent different ones at a range and see what you like shooting before buying. You may find that you like a full size pistol - M&P, SIG, 1911 ... that have a 22lr slide or even a 22lr revolver. Just my 2 cents.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan