CCI .22LR copper 1850 fps w/ pics & tests

Though it's been around since 2016, yesterday is the first I've seen it in the wild in a local big box sportsman's store. Sort of kicking myself for not grabbing a box. Pricey.
Velocity: MV 1850 fps, 1153 fps at 50 yards, 989 fps at 75 yards, 890 fps at 100 yards.

Energy: 160 ft. lbs. ME, 62 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 46 ft. lbs. at 75 yards, 37 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.

Trajectory (100 yard zero): +1" at 25 yards, +2.5" at 50 yards, +2.3" at 75 yards, 0.0" at 100 yards.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/cci_copper-22.html

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx

I'd like to see how it runs in my Ruger MKII.

California goes all non-lead for all hunting on July 1, 2019, so a year out. I'm seeing lots of copper polymer bullets in various calibers even slugs out here in the northern California hinterlands.

On edit, I went to the store web site because I did not recall seeing this as made of the copper polymer. Here's what it really is:
Copper HP
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spo ... /cat100113

I'll see if I can collect a box for testing.

Second edit: a question arises about barrel wear from copper bullets when designed for lead.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: CCI .22LR copper 1850 fps w/ pic

Interesting. The group sizes that are mentioned don't give me a warm fuzzy, as I suspect that the article is right, and the super light weight from the copper needs a faster twist to stabilize it, particularly at those speeds.
On the barrel wear question- I don't think it will make an appreciable difference in a modern firearm. Maybe with an antique made of iron, but copper isn't like shooting steel shot through an old shotgun barrel. It may wear it a bit faster, but I can't imagine too much more?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm Interesting. The group sizes that are mentioned don't give me a warm fuzzy, as I suspect that the article is right, and the super light weight from the copper needs a faster twist to stabilize it, particularly at those speeds.
The new issue of Shooting Times had a review of some centerfire pistol ammo constructed from what sounds like a similar copper/polymer composite. They had fairly respectable groups from two calibers, and poor results from three others ,middling groups from one and poor results from two (and fairly sad 3 to 4 MOA accuracy from three rifles), so this material is sounding like it's not quite ready for prime time.

(edited after consulting the magazine again)
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I do have some solid copper Barnes bullets in 6.5 that has performed decently for me- 3/4" groups at 100. One of the issues with them for sure though is the weight to length ratio- to fit in the magazine it takes a lighter weight bullet since they are longer.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am I do have some solid copper Barnes bullets in 6.5 that has performed decently for me- 3/4" groups at 100. One of the issues with them for sure though is the weight to length ratio- to fit in the magazine it takes a lighter weight bullet since they are longer.
If I was going hunting with a centerfire rifle, I'd probably use those or the Hornady copper alloy bullets, since having near-100% weight retention seems to be generally agreed to make your rifle punch above its weight. Not to mention having no worries about finding a lead particle on your plate.

But these are made of a paste of plastic and copper powder, if I understand correctly. Totally different critter, and it doesn't sound like they work very well.

Re: CCI .22LR copper 1850 fps w/ pics & tests

I finally got to shoot this ammo. I only shot ten rounds of it this time, using my Ruger MKII Government Model. I shot five at 7 yards and five at 15 yards off a rest, slowly and carefully. The pistol cycled well, and the recoil was extremely mild. The 7 yard target was swinging a tad, so I suspect the group would be tighter left to right with a still target. The 15 yard target was dead still, so this group is what would happen. I will reserve judgment until I shoot the rest, half in the rifle. Glad the pistol cycled. Hold was dead center bull.

SCAN0006.JPG

SCAN0005.JPG
Get some and try it so we can compare.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: CCI .22LR copper 1850 fps w/ pics & tests

I bought a box of these .22s a few days ago and fired a ten round group at 15 yards from my 5.5" MkII with my wrists rested on the bench. Did that string in the middle of a set of strings with three conventional flavors of decent .22LR. All the groups were a bit looser than I'd hope for (tending to pull up and to the right from my POA), but the Copper was as tight as any. I guess I'm satisfied that this stuff is reasonably accurate at this range, as CD Fingers showed.

Judging by the sharp crack, it was supersonic from the pistol. I'd like to try that combination at 50 yards to see if they go subsonic and wonky, but I'm not confident I can do it justice unless I can rustle up some sandbags.