Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

offensivename
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: I accidentaly bought another Ruger MK **

#26 Post by offensivename » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Bucolic wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:40 pm
Does that Mk IV have a loaded chamber indicator? I can’t see one in the image.
I had to google to try and find where it would be, if its supposed to be on the left hand side of the chamber with a very obvious "loaded when up" then no, nothing like that I could find.

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#27 Post by MaxWyatt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:16 pm

KlownKannon wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm
offensivename wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:30 pm
I must not have been vaccinated against Mk *-itis because I left that same LGC meetup and also ended up at home with a used Mk IV target. Be safe people! Vaccinate your kids against Rugeritis!

IMG_20190126_154108.jpg
I hear the vaccine for Rugeritis contains lead. I'm a Ruger anti vaxxer.
There's no vaccine. You're just pretending to be anti-vax to be hipster.... :tongue:

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#28 Post by MaxWyatt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:26 pm

I got to the range long enough to break it in a bit and shoot the Even Hand of Justice. It shoots well and groups are decent. The trigger feels rough, but got better after 100 or so rounds. I'll be following Bucolic's suggestions, if it doesn't break in after another session or two. Two handed at any distance, the groups were better with the MKii, but the spread really showed at 50'. I think it was also a function of my familiarity with it as well as the fibre optic sight on the MKii since the light wasn't all that great. All in all I'm glad to have another in the bag. A 5.5 Target model would complete the set. hmm..... no vaccine. Could be trouble.

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#29 Post by Bucolic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm

I think I need to accidentally buy a Mk IV...
Neverthless, she persisted.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#30 Post by Bisbee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 pm

KlownKannon wrote:
I hear the vaccine for Rugeritis contains lead.
:laugh: Yes, it does! At least 36-40 grains per shot! Must be careful to always point that thing downrange.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#31 Post by MaxWyatt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 pm

Cleaned it this evening. Wow! tight fitting compared to my MKii. Had to tap and knock the upper and lower together to line things up just right. Took several attempts. Having to insert and remove the mag a dozen times wasn't helpful. Also, there's a lot of 'junk' around the hammer. I'll be installing a MKii hammer and bushing to cleant that up. The OCD part of me wants to straighten that out immediately but I won't have time for a while. Too bad, because I'm guessing that will clean up at least some of the clunky trigger feel. But I still like it. :-)

Bang
Chatty

#32 Post by Bang » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:49 pm

I had a strange dream last night where I too had a Ruger Target Pistol with a 9 inch barrel, and I attached some kind of strange scimitar shaped bayonet to it.

You guys have to stop posting about guns, you're affecting my dreams now.

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#33 Post by Buck13 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:04 am

KlownKannon wrote:
offensivename wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:30 pm
I must not have been vaccinated against Mk *-itis because I left that same LGC meetup and also ended up at home with a used Mk IV target. Be safe people! Vaccinate your kids against Rugeritis!

IMG_20190126_154108.jpg
I hear the vaccine for Rugeritis contains lead. I'm a Ruger anti vaxxer.
:bow:

How did I miss this thread?

Nice new toy!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#34 Post by Bacchus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:20 am

MaxWyatt wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 pm
Cleaned it this evening. Wow! tight fitting compared to my MKii. Had to tap and knock the upper and lower together to line things up just right. Took several attempts. Having to insert and remove the mag a dozen times wasn't helpful. Also, there's a lot of 'junk' around the hammer. I'll be installing a MKii hammer and bushing to cleant that up. The OCD part of me wants to straighten that out immediately but I won't have time for a while. Too bad, because I'm guessing that will clean up at least some of the clunky trigger feel. But I still like it. :-)
'Lord of Enablers'... Ha! I recall doing my best to talk you out of it so I could snap it up for myself! :roflmao:

Is there an update? Has anyone shown up with offerings of Volquartsen crack? ;) Interested to know if the trigger has improved any with more use.

My MK III Target was and has remained a genuine pain to reassemble; something about the bolt stop pin being either slightly bent or misaligned or something. I grease it, pound it, and even rounded off the end a tad, but it remains a bear. I don't call it The Antichrist for nothing.

Hey, let's bring ours to the meet on Saturday and do some long-distance work...
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#35 Post by K9s » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 am

Dang those are nice.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#36 Post by Bacchus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:18 am

K9s wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 am
Dang those are nice.
Max has good taste. :)

I've got the version offensivename has, in MK III format, in both stainless and blued. They are great pistols, even if the cleaning process of the MK IV series doesn't build character the way the previous iterations do. ;) It's not for nothing that we see so many appear in our Bullseye League and postal matches.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

lsj74
Chatty

#37 Post by lsj74 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm

I just got a Mark IV with the wooden grips, and while the pistol is nice and the takedown is a breeze the sights are junk.
It shoots low. I'm talking 3 or 4 inches low at 10 yards and I can't raise them enough to get on target. And to top it off Ruger no longer includes the rail with their target model.
Other than those 2 issues I like the pistol. I can shoot fairly tight groups with it even if the groups are 3 or 4 inches low and I like the feel of the grips.
Attachments
received_602533573505455.jpeg
received_602533573505455.jpeg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Eris

#38 Post by Eris » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:42 pm

lsj74 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm
I just got a Mark IV with the wooden grips, and while the pistol is nice and the takedown is a breeze the sights are junk.
It shoots low. I'm talking 3 or 4 inches low at 10 yards and I can't raise them enough to get on target. And to top it off Ruger no longer includes the rail with their target model.
Other than those 2 issues I like the pistol. I can shoot fairly tight groups with it even if the groups are 3 or 4 inches low and I like the feel of the grips.
Shooting that low makes me think the rear sight isn't installed correctly. I have the target sights on my Mark IV and they work just fine.

As for a rail, the Ruger store online was out of them the last time I checked a few weeks ago. I bought one from Tandekross instead.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-Pica ... p_132.html
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

lsj74
Chatty

#39 Post by lsj74 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Eris wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Shooting that low makes me think the rear sight isn't installed correctly. I have the target sights on my Mark IV and they work just fine.

As for a rail, the Ruger store online was out of them the last time I checked a few weeks ago. I bought one from Tandekross instead.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-Pica ... p_132.html
Looking at them I can't see anything wrong.
There is a little bit of the ratchet-y feeling when I turn the adjustment screw but then it just gets loose and the sights stop moving.
I'm thinking I just got bad rear sights.
I have been looking at different rails but I haven't decided yet which ones I'm going to get. Tandemkross is a good choice though.

Deep13
Been around awhile

#40 Post by Deep13 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 am

Eris wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 pm
I don't know about the target model, but my Mk IV Competition does *not* have a loaded chamber indicator. I guess that's why it's illegal in Mass.
Thanks, Mass., for protecting us from the hordes of murderous small-caliber target shooters. (That was sarcasm.)
Yet she persisted.

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#41 Post by MaxWyatt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:14 am

I was able to get out to the range again on Friday. The trigger is smoothing out, but there's still more play and take up than I like. The Tru Glo front sight works good, but I'm going to swap out the green filament for a red one. It's a lead free range so I was shooting CCI copper. I only shot 100 rounds of 22lr between both the MKii and MKiii, but I was not able to get as tight of groups as I wanted out of either pistol. I think 21gr is just not enough mass to stabilize. Also, both guns jammed a lot. Didn't have any trouble with my regular ammo last time out. I'm blaming the ammo.