Ruger MK ii/iii experiments

I have a MK ii 10" barrel, mostly OEM with the exception of the VQ target grips, hammer bushing, and mainspring assembly. I also have a MKiii 7" slab side which is still in OEM condition. I've noticed recently that the groups shot with the MK iii have been getting tighter over time. I believe it's primarily a function of the trigger smoothing out. It's also a bit easier to hold steady with the shorter barrel. I decided to do an experiment and swap the barrels. After approximately 15 minutes (I'm very proud of this), I'd swapped the uppers/lowers so I have a MKii lower with a MKiii 7" upper and a MKiii with a MKii 10" upper. I figured that the groups on the MKii with the shorter barrel would be noticeably better, but they weren't. I easily shot as well with the MKiii lower with the 10" barrel. I need to mention here that the trigger on the MKiii is getting better, but it is noticeably rougher with more slop and take-up. In spite of this, it's doing as well as the MKii. What gives? Well, I next decided to change the grips. The massive VQ grip on the MKii won't fit on the MKiii (mag release) so I had to set it aside and use the original wood grips and the groups with the MKii got smaller. I swapped grips again and put a rubber (not VQ) grip on the the MKii and the wooden target grips on the MKiii and the groupings got even better with the MKii. My theory is two-fold. 1) although the massive VQ target grip aids in steadying the 10" barrel, it isn't optimal for my hands. 2) the trigger on the the MKiii is gradually getting better and muddling the results somewhat. Maybe the MKii is getting worn and needs the lower rebuilt? Any other insights possibilities? I'm going to order a trigger kit after the new year and those results could be interesting. I'm not sure which pistol to put it in. ;)

Re: Ruger MK ii/iii experiments

Oh, no.... I feel like I’m going to be that guy, who has the same answer for every question, but here goes...

How much are you going to spend modding a Ruger? If you follow the “buy another one” advice, why not just get a Smith 41 and call it done?

(What rice maker should I get? Model 41
What do you think about Glocks? Model 41
Sorry in advance)

I'm not really pining over whether or not to mod these. I'm definitely installing a trigger kit in one of them next month. If I like it, I'll follow suit with the other. This experiment with swapping around the uppers, lowers, and grips is more about trying to figure out why one is (or isn't) shooting better groups than the other. Of course of all the variables, the shooter is the most variable so it's really difficult to come to firm conclusions. I'd love to get another target pistol, but realistically the next purchase will likely be a bolt 308 or a 12 ga. Besides the S&W 41's are running over $1,000. I could get a nice rifle AND an 12ga 870 for that.

One firm conclusion that I have arrived at is that the CLI on the MKiii upper causes feeding issues. Even when sparkling clean.

K9s wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:15 pm
Bucolic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:07 pm “Ridiculous” has never stopped me from a firearm purchase.
Isn't that more like a dare? Reminds me of this one:

Feels like these guys are breaking at least two of the cardinal rules of firearms use. I'll leave it to someone more experienced to determine which :lol:
"See, chess doesn't prepare you for this. You can't say that a rook and three pawns flanked your knight but he laid down suppressing fire and punched through them anyway. You get disqualified if you try that."