Buckmark 6.5" Question

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Buckmark 6.5" Question

Post by bajajoaquin »

When I was in my FFL picking up my Ruger Carbine today, I got talking about a Buckmark 6.5" model that's there on consignment. I asked which model it is (URX, UDX, etc), and he said it's just a plain "Buckmark." Anyone have any opinions on these? They aren't on Roster here in CA, but as a consignment, it's technically a PPT, so it's available to me. I think I can get it for $400 out the door, inclusive of taxes, fees, etc.

What say you? Good deal? A new basic $339 UFX from Bud's would be $420 by the time all the fees are paid.

shinzen
Site Admin

Re: Buckmark 6.5" Question

Post by shinzen »

Buckmark is a great shooter- Depends on whether you like the version or not really. There are a few Buckmark pistols on roster:
https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... liant.html

I mean, it doesn't sound like a bad deal, but also not a stellar one. If it's a Buckmark Standard, those are discontinued- the newer stuff may have better sights and whatnot. So, it depends?

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

shinzen wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:25 pm
Buckmark is a great shooter- Depends on whether you like the version or not really. There are a few Buckmark pistols on roster:
https://www.browning.com/products/firea ... liant.html

I mean, it doesn't sound like a bad deal, but also not a stellar one. If it's a Buckmark Standard, those are discontinued- the newer stuff may have better sights and whatnot. So, it depends?
this

nothing wrong with buckmarks...they are well made and accurate guns and there are lots of upgrades.

That said, they feel cheap to me when compared to a MK II. But I like wheelguns, so take that with a big grain of salt

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

I am actually looking for an inexpensive .22 pistol that's nevertheless a nice shooter. I've got a target pistol, but I'm shopping for some desert land, and I'd like something that I don't mind putting in a holster, handing over to my brother, but can still shoot nicely. Ruger Marks aren't on roster, and I'm kind of an automatic guy. I am considering a single action .22 with a .22 mag cylinder, but I almost consider that its own class of gun.

(Okay, truth be told, it's got to shoot well enough that when I hand my S&W 41 to my brother, and spank him on a dueling tree with the "lesser" pistol, I can dance and taunt him.)

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

oh...then get it! :)

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

The feeling cheap factor can be pretty easily overcome with the right grips. I don't own one, but have shot a number of them.

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TriggerPuller »

I didn't realize it until just now, but I guess I'm a Buck Mark fan. My target pistol is a Hunter (with the 7.25" barrel), and I've also got two Micro Bulls (with 4" barrels). Both models are terrific shooters. I often shoot the Hunter out to 50 yards, just because I can. I use the Micro Bulls as trainers for new shooters.

I can offer one "pro tip" for the platform: Take great care with how you tighten the sight rail bolts. They are the key to both accuracy and reliability. If they're too loose, then accuracy suffers. If they are too tight, then the gun does not cycle properly.

I don't use a torque wrench, so I cannot tell you precisely what the correct amount of torque is. I figured out the relationship between torque and accuracy first when my groups started to open up for no discernable reason. When I figured out that the sight rail screws had started backing out, I began really cranking them down, which fixed the accuracy problem, but then caused cycling problems (usually failure to feed). Eventually, I figured out why that was happening, and now I can torque those screws correctly.

I really like the platform.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

Do the screw heads protrude below the top rail?

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TriggerPuller »

Not quite sure what you mean, but here's a clear picture: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RaYAAOSw ... s-l300.jpg

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TriggerPuller »

The front-most screw is basically screwing into the top of the barrel, and the rear-most screw is setting into the top of the frame. The slide's action on a Buck Mark is kind of unusual: the slide itself is fully contained and articulates within the frame, and the sight rail serves as the top of the frame. Here's a nice animation of the action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNS2cmzZ-iE

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TriggerPuller »

If that top rail is too tight, it compresses the slide, which increases the frictional forces on it beyond the ability of the powder's blowback to cycle a new round.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

Got it. There's a rail that spans the area between the barrel and the recoil spring lug. It appears there's a bit of a gap between that rail and the lug, so over-tightening would lead to the excess friction you describe.

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TriggerPuller »

:yahoo: That's it!