.17 HMR

Does anyone here shoot .17 HMR ? I’m interested in a Tikka that’s for sale locally and wondering what I’d be getting into. I’ve noticed the ammo is pricier than .22 LR but it seems like a somewhat more versatile cartridge. Is it as dirty as .22LR?

Re: .17 HMR

Have a Taurus M17 Tracker w/6.5" barrel. Using CCI or Win 17gr ammo, possibly Hornady, too - I'd have to stop and clean/flush cylinder of GSR before 50 rds. or it would lock up. Once flushed w/Gun Scrubber, back on track. It's a hoot to shoot - put it up there with my .22mag Tracker.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

.17 HMR

I have a CZ 455 in .17 HMR and previously had a CZ 453 in .17. They shoot like lasers. Ammo
Is much more expensive than .22LR - comparable to 9 mm Luger.

It is dirty. I hate cleaning the rifles after a couple hundred rounds. Nonetheless, I really like the round. A great varmint round. Still supersonic at something like 200 yards. Blows in the wind though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: .17 HMR

I owned a Savage 17hmr bolt gun with a Nikon scope. It was spooky accurate past 100 yards. It shoots like a laser, completely flat trajectory...when the air is dead still. But any wind will push it left and right at greater distances. I ended up selling the rifle because it was heavy, bipod mounted, and I just didn’t find it as versatile as 22lr in general. Yes, the ammo is significantly more expensive though cleaner burning than bulk ammo for the most part. It is a fine platform with limited use beyond target practice on non-windy days. I don’t know many folks who really hunt with it since the projectile is too small except for headshots on anything larger than a coyote and the high velocity may explode a rabbit or squirrel so you lose meat in small game. Stuff to consider.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi