Real talk about effective church security

------

With the recent attack on a church in Texas, in which 26 people were killed and dozens injured, many people are looking for ways to prevent or respond to such attacks. And there are others ready to prey on that need with bad or incomplete information. Everyone, it seems, is suddenly a “Church Security Consultant”.
As a result you can find lots of misguided articles and talk about how to start a “church security team”, focusing — of course — on shooting skills. While responding to a violent attacker with lethal force is of course an  understandable course of action, the reality is that it’s not appropriate in all cases. In fact, in the vast majority of security incidents in houses of worship it’s the wrong response.
Security, especially in a church, is a lot more than just shooting.
In this episode of Training Talk, my guests Aaron Israel and Joshua Gideon talk with me about what a security team really does, what it looks like, and how it needs to be trained. If your church, synagogue, temple, or shrine’s approach to security is to find a few people in the congregation with concealed handgun licenses and station them near the entrances, you need to see this episode. More importantly, your clueless leadership needs to see it.
Security in a house of worship is a complex and nuanced job for which people need to be properly trained. You’ll find out why (and how) in this informative and important episode.
– Grant
P.S.: Don’t forget the security of your home and family during these trying times. My latest book, “Prepping for Life: The balanced approach to personal security and family safety”, is all about planning and preparing to face your own ‘worst case scenario’, be it a natural disaster or a vicious attack. Never before has such a comprehensive, structured method for planning your own safety been available, and it’s getting rave reviews. Available in paperback, Kindle, and iBooks formats!

Opening photo by Free-Photos – pixabay.com (CC0 public domain)

The post Real talk about effective church security appeared first on www.GrantCunningham.com.

------

Re: Real talk about effective church security

SailDesign wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 am I guess "love thine enemies" and "turn the other cheek" is unfashionable these days?

No - not being an asshat (well, not on purpose...) , just pointing out that a great deal of the supposed Christian ethic gets destroyed in this topic.
Loving one's enemies isn't the same as sitting down and letting them slice you into chunks. Turning the other cheek at a literal level was about non-lethal attack, and a counter to the prevailing 'eye for an eye' sort of justice.
...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:36 KJV

Re: Real talk about effective church security

I dont think the concept of love thine enemy or turn the other cheek never meant don't defend yourself. Even eye for an eye is a bit misleading as in context as it meant more the punishment should fit the crime.

However it was wildly taken out of context and used as a method of retribution. Jesus was concerned in many ways of restoring the spirit of justice. He spoke of justice in many different ways.

In the turn the other cheek sorta deal he was reacting to a misuse of eye for an eye, speaking the difference of what is a responsibility of people. Of course the original purpose of eye for an eye is still punishment fit the crime but Jesus words for the average folk was simply say don't go get revenge yourself. In a modern day sense its the equivelant of once a robber has left your house don't go hunting them down. Dont slander just cause they slandered you. Dont steel from someone just cause they stole from you etc..etc..

But security? I don't see that violating any christiam principle.

:: edit ::

Or In short "yeah what andy said"