Your Hump Day Reading List for November 29, 2017

------

November is winding down, but the great information in the Hump Day Reading List never ends!

Want to host a training course? Here’s how.
On Monday I said I was looking to teach in more parts of the country during 2018, and invited you to host one of my classes. I’m sure more than a few people wondered just what that entails and how to go about it. Well, you’re in luck — Rob Pincus, who knows a thing or two about being hosted, wrote this great article that prepares you for the experience. If you’ve ever wanted to bring me (or anyone else) in to teach a class at your local range, this article will tell you everything you need to know.

How do you communicate with someone who may be a threat?
Verbal defense is a real thing, but is something that’s not adequately covered (if it’s even mentioned) in most CCW courses. This is a good introductory article about using language as a tool to ward off, or to positively identify, a potential threat. (It’s not often I agree with an author who calls their material a “critical skill”, but in this case I do.)

Going to the Big Game? Be prepared.
If you’re heading to an arena for a special event this season, you might want to think about your safety should a mass casualty event take place while you’re there. While this article focuses on an arena attack, many of his recommendations would work for many other types of incidents. While his ideas won’t be applicable to every possible scenario, he has enough good information to make the article well worth reading.

“I was in fear of my life!”
I’ve often cautioned, in print and in person, that in order to justifiably use lethal force you have to be in reasonable and articulable fear of death or grave bodily harm. This article does a fairly good job of explaining that concept. I would add the articulation component; not only do you need to understand what “reasonable” means, you also need to be able to explain to someone else exactly why you felt your actions were reasonable. Blind fear is not a justification to use lethal force; reasonable and articulable fear may be, depending on the circumstances. (And yes — people do get prosecuted and imprisoned for shooting or killing another person out of blind or fabricated fear.)

Surviving the phone scam
Telephone scams, like email scams, are still around because they work. There are enough gullible people, and/or enough really clever crooks, to make them a continuing threat to your financial well-being. This is a good article that looks at some of the most common phone scams, how they work, and most importantly how to protect yourself from them. This is an article you should share with your older or less scam-savvy relatives and friends as well; senior citizens are the most common victims of phone scams.

A shooter’s malfunction is your defensive opportunity
A surprising number of active shooter incidents involved a gun malfunction of some kind (to include running out of ammunition and needing to reload.) Learning to recognize when an active shooter experiences a momentary lapse in shooting, and what you can do during that time, may make the difference between stopping the killer and becoming his victim. Greg Ellifritz looks at the surprising frequency of malfunctions in active shooter events — with a list — and what they mean for your ability to stop the carnage. Remember: The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy or gal who recognizes that they can.

Taking your gun with you on your holiday trip?
A short article that covers the high points of flying with firearms. I would add that not every airport, airline, or even TSA agent does things exactly the same way; in addition to the points mentioned in this article, you need to stay flexible and understand the concepts behind the process. If you allow yourself to get wrapped up in the minutiae, your chances of having a bad day increase dramatically. (The way firearms are handled at Denver International, for instance, is far less logical than any other airport I’ve been in. I went with the flow, was polite to the TSA agent who berated me for following the airline’s specific instructions, and she ended up apologizing for her rant. Stay calm!)

Another reason I’m not a fan of off-body carry
When your gun falls out of your bag, you’re likely to have a bad day. This woman was extremely lucky, but it could easily have ended very badly. Once again: off-body carry is an ADVANCED carry technique and should only be used after sufficient training and understanding of its very real hazards. People selling holster purses to new, untrained gun owners should be shunned and pilloried.
– Grant
P.S.: There’s still time to order Protect Yourself With Your Snubnose Revolver or my newest book, Prepping for Life: The balanced approach to personal security and family safety, and get them in time for Christmas giving! Both are available in Kindle, iBooks, and paperback versions to suit everyone on your list.

Opening photo by Backpacker – pixabay.com (CC0 public domain)

The post Your Hump Day Reading List for November 29, 2017 appeared first on www.GrantCunningham.com.

------