Re: After Parkland, what can we do today?

According to the all knowing Wiki, the first public school in the US started in 1881, while the first semi-auto rifle was 1885.

Why didn't we have school shootings then, and why do we now?
Marlene wrote:I really wish the gun laws that many people think would fix this would actually fix this. I’d love to be able to earnestly say “well I don’t like it but it’s for the greater good”.
:bow:
YankeeTarheel wrote:My point is that if Constitutional solutions aren't developed for an obvious, deadly problem, UNConstitutional ones will be enacted in their place. And if they work? They'll be untouchable.
The challenge here is that a 'solution' has to be aimed at the actual problem(s) in order to work. We know the guns aren't causing this - therefore, pushing new gun laws as a solution is insane. "...nations do behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.” This 'do something, even if it's wrong' mindset just sacrifices more kids until we try all of things that can't work. That's a stack of body bags I'm not willing to contribute to.

shinzen wrote:
Marlene wrote:I really wish the gun laws that many people think would fix this would actually fix this. I’d love to be able to earnestly say “well I don’t like it but it’s for the greater good”.
Yep. Makes two of us.
Thirded. If giving up my AR meant no more mass shootings, I would be in favor of it. Hell, I might dump it early to get ahead of the crunch before Gavin takes over.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Bisbee wrote:Well, the fact is we as a country are quickly getting mass shooting fatigue and are possibly moving toward an Australia-like event. Yes, I know the 2A prevents this but it's hard to argue that the Aussies largely solved their shooting problems with a ban. Yes, I know that people there still get murdered each year but the shootings have pretty much been addressed, which is all Moms & Mayors are focused on anyway (at the cost of addressing root causes of random violence).

Your on the border too,(this might be beating a dead horse/preaching to the choir) , but I don't think we shut things down like Australia did in any form with a supplier from the south. I look at the war on drugs and see it applied like the "war on guns" and I don't think there is any good outcome there, even if no blood in the streets revolution happens and if we werent already awash in firearms. I just see a long bloody money pit that doesn't do much but get the same types of folks thrown in jail and yet another "war" we sure can't get enough of those! Americans by and large also consider the right to bear to be a form of national identity and freedom.

just Logisitically I don't think it would be the same, not that they would be convinced

senorgrand wrote:
shinzen wrote:
Yep. Makes two of us.
Thirded. If giving up my AR meant no more mass shootings, I would be in favor of it. Hell, I might dump it early to get ahead of the crunch before Gavin takes over.
Forth'd.

If the Federal AR ban had been shown to be effective or the California AR bullet button madness, I'd say sure, here you go. But the Federal AR ban didn't have a measurable impact. The California AR bullet button and magazine restrictions did nothing to stop San Bernardino that used illegal ARs and illegal high capacity magazines and attempted to use illegal explosives.

It crossed my mind this morning that I would also gladly give up certain classes of firearms in exchange for the removal of the NRA from American politics.