Re: Blog FaithShield: Jeff Kowell on Church Security as Ministry

I just nuked the syndication- EDIT- I thought it was focus on the family, must have misread- it was New Life- less problematic than I originally thought. Still, not particularly relevant to our conversation, so leaving it nuked and will more carefully curate what is syndicated from that blog going forward.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 am I just nuked the syndication- EDIT- I thought it was focus on the family, must have misread- it was New Life- less problematic than I originally thought. Still, not particularly relevant to our conversation, so leaving it nuked and will more carefully curate what is syndicated from that blog going forward.
I believe a member of LGC is involved in studying this project?????
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

shinzen wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 pm Yes, David Yamane, who produces the Gun Culture 2.0 blog is the author- he's put out some really good stuff in the past, it's just that some of his stuff is not topical to us, so we just need to keep an eye on what we publish.
Dr Yamane teaches at Wake Forest University an old (1834) private university in Winston-Salem, NC, an area that some might say is in the Bible-Belt. Yamane is a scientist, a sociologist and ASA's definition is:
Sociologists investigate the structure of groups, organizations, and societies and how people interact within these contexts. Since all human behavior is social, the subject matter of sociology ranges from the intimate family to the hostile mob; from organized crime to religious traditions; from the divisions of race, gender and social class to the shared beliefs of a common culture.”

“Sociological methods include systematic observation, in-depth interviews and ethnography, conversational analysis, content analysis of both written and visual documents, survey research, and statistical analysis. The results of sociological investigations help in the development of new theories and inform social policy, programs, and laws.”
https://soc.uncg.edu/about-us/what-do-s ... sts-study/

I'm not a religious believer and some of the things people believe are wacko and repulsive and sometimes illegal, same with politics. One can observe and study without participating and believing. Personally I want to know what the other side is thinking and what motivates them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

shinzen wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:49 pm Yes, David Yamane, who produces the Gun Culture 2.0 blog is the author- he's put out some really good stuff in the past, it's just that some of his stuff is not topical to us, so we just need to keep an eye on what we publish.
I found it quite interesting. I'm sad to see this go away.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed