Blog Your Hump Day Reading List for October 3, 2018

It’s the first Wednesday of October, and I’ve got some great defensive preparedness articles for all areas of your life. (Oh, and one article about an idiot with a gun that we should all avoid emulating!)    
Need some help prioritizing your preparedness? If you’re having trouble deciding what to do first, one approach is prioritizing based on scope of impact. It has the advantage of helping you “group” your activities and purchases to ensure you’re focusing on what’s really most applicable to your life. Here’s a good introductory article for those new to the topic.    
Concealed carry and wheelchairs I get a surprising number of inquiries about the logistics and practicality of carrying a concealed handgun while in a wheelchair. It’s actually a complex subject, and this article from a physical therapist looks at some of the issues. (This is a highly individualistic topic, much more so than usual, and some of his  recommendations may not be applicable to everyone in a wheelchair.)    
Immediate care for strokes  One of the scariest things about being away from medical facilities — whether because of a natural disaster or simply a backwoods adventure — is dealing with severe non-trauma injuries. One of those is stroke: the sudden cessation of oxygenated blood flow to the brain. This article looks at the different kinds of stroke, how the present themselves, and some things you can do while getting the patient to a medical facility.    
The Ruger PC Carbine A review of one of the newest (and most affordable) entries in the pistol-caliber carbine (PCC) market. I’m a big fan of the PCC as an in-home defensive tool, and this is one of the more intriguing examples. (Note: the site is poorly programmed; you may experience computer slowdown as a result.)
    Normalcy bias reduces your safety While this article is aimed at preppers and their recognition of an unfolding disaster, the points made are just as applicable to self-defense incidents. One of the most common victim statements is some variation of “I couldn’t believe it was happening”. That’s an indication of normalcy bias in action, and this article can help you to recognize and avoid the condition.    
Opting out may not be the best idea From Krebs On Security (my favorite information and identity protection blog) comes an interesting idea: opting out of things like social media, in an attempt to avoid identity theft, may in fact make you more vulnerable. Read it thoroughly, as he makes some excellent points.    
Dumb Concealed Carrier Of The Day You may recall a story out of Indianapolis last June, where some kids found a gun in an Ikea store and managed to fire a round into a couch. Turns out the owner of the gun was carrying it in the shallow pockets of his shorts (presumably without a holster). He sat down on the couch, and when he got up he failed to notice his gun wasn’t in his pants any longer. He’s been charged with a felony, as well he should. He was negligent and gives the rest of us a bad reputation! Pocket carry is a very useful technique under the right circumstances. Of course, you should never carry in a pocket without a holster for the gun; your pockets need to be of a depth that both conceals and adequately contains the gun and holster; and you must never have anything else in that pocket except the gun and holster. And, naturally, you need to check to make sure it’s still in place anytime you sit down and get back up. – Grant Cunningham
    The post Your Hump Day Reading List for October 3, 2018 appeared first on www.GrantCunningham.com.

Source: http://www.grantcunningham.com/2018/10/ ... er-3-2018/