Re: 6.5 Creed/.260 Rem/.308 Win compared

What to make of this? Hornady isn't exactly Remington or Winchester, but...maybe this thing has legs.
At Hornady, the 6.5 Creedmoor is second only to the .223 in terms of sales.
https://www.outdoorlife.com/evolution-6 ... or#page-10

I was driving past a Malwart halfway between Portland and Seattle (i.e. semi-rural) a month ago and stopped in for a package of snack. The ammo case had several flavors of 6.5 Cr and IIRC the prices weren't TOO much higher than more vanilla calibers.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 am What to make of this? Hornady isn't exactly Remington or Winchester, but...maybe this thing has legs.
At Hornady, the 6.5 Creedmoor is second only to the .223 in terms of sales.
https://www.outdoorlife.com/evolution-6 ... or#page-10

I was driving past a Malwart halfway between Portland and Seattle (i.e. semi-rural) a month ago and stopped in for a package of snack. The ammo case had several flavors of 6.5 Cr and IIRC the prices weren't TOO much higher than more vanilla calibers.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has kicked the .260 Remington to the curb. Although both are great cartridges, the 6.5 C seems to have won the race.

I've got an AR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and love it. The rifle easily shoots .75 MOA groups routinely with the Hornady match ammo. As the article you linked mentions...the cartridge has the trajectory of a 300 Win mag with about 40% of the recoil.

My youngest son and I took it out some months back with these results...

@ 100 yards

Marlene wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:09 pm Comparing 6.5 Creedmore to .308 is like comparing .17 HMR to 245 gr .45 acp.

They aren't designed for the same thing. Of course the terminal ballistics are different, because they are designed for extremely different applications.
How would you describe the difference?
6.5 is designed for flat-shooting long distance. .308 is designed for heavy hitting at close and intermediate ranges.

6.5 is more comparable to .338 lapua mag, than to .308 IMHO. Obviously with a big difference in ft/lbs, but the trajectories are more similar than the fast dropping .308.

soooo..... I'm hesitant to wade into this, but for a person that might go hunting once a year or hit range occasionally with a max distance of 200-300yds, is there a practical difference? A 6.5 should easily dispatch a deer and under 300yds a .308 is still decently accurate. I grew up hunting in sage brush and junipers and a 300yd shot would have been on the upper end. If I recall, we were generally sighting our rifles in at 150yds. Since a rifle is sighted in at a given distance, the relative difficulty of the shot will increase the farther away you move from that distance. If the rifle is sighted in at 100 yds, for example, you would have to estimate the amount of bullet drop to make a shot at 300 or 400 yds and aim high to compensate. Certainly possible by a skilled shooter, but more difficult. Likewise, if a rifle is sighted in at 800yds and you try to shoot a target 100yds away, you will over shoot it unless you compensate drastically and aim low. Seems to me that having the rifle sighted for the distance is actually more important than whether it's a 260/6.5/308/etc FWIW, It'll likely be a while before I buy a center fire rifle, but I like the idea of less recoil and a compact and efficient round, so for me that's the factor that tips the scale in favor of 6.5, not the fact that it's more accurate at 1000yds. Am I missing something?

MaxWyatt wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 pm soooo..... I'm hesitant to wade into this, but for a person that might go hunting once a year or hit range occasionally with a max distance of 200-300yds, is there a practical difference? A 6.5 should easily dispatch a deer and under 300yds a .308 is still decently accurate. I grew up hunting in sage brush and junipers and a 300yd shot would have been on the upper end. If I recall, we were generally sighting our rifles in at 150yds. Since a rifle is sighted in at a given distance, the relative difficulty of the shot will increase the farther away you move from that distance. If the rifle is sighted in at 100 yds, for example, you would have to estimate the amount of bullet drop to make a shot at 300 or 400 yds and aim high to compensate. Certainly possible by a skilled shooter, but more difficult. Likewise, if a rifle is sighted in at 800yds and you try to shoot a target 100yds away, you will over shoot it unless you compensate drastically and aim low. Seems to me that having the rifle sighted for the distance is actually more important than whether it's a 260/6.5/308/etc FWIW, It'll likely be a while before I buy a center fire rifle, but I like the idea of less recoil and a compact and efficient round, so for me that's the factor that tips the scale in favor of 6.5, not the fact that it's more accurate at 1000yds. Am I missing something?
When you say "only hunt once a year and occasionally hit the range" I gather you don't reload. I feel you would do fine with anything from the 243 up to the 30-06. It all depends on the availability of factory ammo. I wouldn't worry about recoil, it's just not a factor unless you are going to shoot belted magnum calibers. The 6.5 creedmore is just the newest latest and greatest to hit the market. It sounds like a very interesting caliber, not interesting enough for me to buy one, I'll just get by using my 06 rifles. On another note since you live and might possibly hunt in the northwest do you think you might ever hunt game like elk?

eelj wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 am When you say "only hunt once a year and occasionally hit the range" I gather you don't reload. I feel you would do fine with anything from the 243 up to the 30-06. It all depends on the availability of factory ammo. I wouldn't worry about recoil, it's just not a factor unless you are going to shoot belted magnum calibers. The 6.5 creedmore is just the newest latest and greatest to hit the market. It sounds like a very interesting caliber, not interesting enough for me to buy one, I'll just get by using my 06 rifles. On another note since you live and might possibly hunt in the northwest do you think you might ever hunt game like elk?
Nope, don't reload; at least not yet. Elk hunting isn't out of the question, but I prefer venison to elk.

really when it comes down to it...6.5 creedmore, 260 rem, 308 win they all can be accurate, they all can shoot long range. the difference... 6.5 can do it with less drop, less affect by a cross wind the closer to 1000 yards you get. if you have the skill, you can compensate for drop at a distance, cross wind etc. with a 30 caliber. and it's not like the 6.5 is immune to drop or cross wind. rather it just handles these factors better.

I'm still a newbie at long range/precision rifle stuff but my first venture was a 6.5 Creedmoor and I have shot it right next to .308 bolt guns. Not much .260 around - haven't shot it. My impression is that 6.5 starts to really make .308 look like an old war horse at ranges beyond 600 yards. I think 1000 yards is the new 600 yards as with better guns and optics shooting sub MOA out to 600 is kinda child's play. Inside of 600 yards the .308 is ok. At distances beyond that or needing precision beyond 600 yards the 6.5 just plain smokes the good old .308.

With factory match ammo there is no comparison (to me) at 600+ yards - the .308 is history.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 am I'm still a newbie at long range/precision rifle stuff but my first venture was a 6.5 Creedmoor and I have shot it right next to .308 bolt guns. Not much .260 around - haven't shot it. My impression is that 6.5 starts to really make .308 look like an old war horse at ranges beyond 600 yards. I think 1000 yards is the new 600 yards as with better guns and optics shooting sub MOA out to 600 is kinda child's play. Inside of 600 yards the .308 is ok. At distances beyond that or needing precision beyond 600 yards the 6.5 just plain smokes the good old .308.

With factory match ammo there is no comparison (to me) at 600+ yards - the .308 is history.

VooDoo
In other threads I have mentioned a friend who has a 1000yd range on his farm. He started out with a very expensive M1A in 7.62 shooting tailor made reloads. He found it was best at 800yds max. He then went all in and bought a Barrett bolt rifle in 50BMG and of course had great success but it was very fatiguing both in the shooting and the cost. Last fall he bought a new Ruger Precision in the creedmoor chambering and he feels that he found the answer. I can only imagine that the 6.5 would make a dandy hunting round for western Antelope and Deer.

I think it could have it's greatest appeal to two types of shooters, competitors who want an edge and new shooters and hunters. It will be interesting to see if it can establish it self as a common round, you can find a lot of different ammo anywhere for certain rifles, of course if you reload ammo that is not much of a problem.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:11 am The one trouble with shooting the 6.5 at like 1000 meters happens when you go get your target. Shooters I know bring 4 wheelers. Or leave a big ol' steel plate out there. They can hear the ping after many seconds.

CDFingers
Yes my friend uses a 4 wheeler and some times his tractor, shoot a string and mow a path of hay down to the target and mow back. Thats called consolidating your priorities.

I think if I had been shooting .308 for some years and was experienced and set up to reload .308 and already had dies/powder/bullets for it I'd stay with it...unless I was actively competing at 1000 yards and wanting the extra edge. For me as a beginner (at 62!!) in precision rifle it was a no brainer especially since my end game is to pop steel at 1 mile.
308-65-ussocom-meme.jpg
Nothing wrong with .308....it's just superseded at this time by the 6.5 CM and as it becomes more popular (and is adopted by the military) factory ammo prices should fall.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Everyone is talking about the military adopting the 6.5 as a means of lowering the price of ammo - but why? 6.5CM ammo is already selling at reasonable prices. The same price as quality 308. I mean unless you have a semi that you just want the throw a ton of cheap lead indiscriminately for fun (depending on your state lol), then ammo prices just aren’t an argument for me - for quality ammo.

To be honest, I think the 6.5CM is here to stay. Everyone is making rifles for it now - including Remington which is saying A LOT, being they were pushing their 260 and refused to chamber 6.5CM for years. Which is a good thing.

All said and done, the 6.5CM is a better round than the 308. There isn’t any pro/con thing going on, it’s just better in every way. Unfortunately Remington isn’t making every model they sell in 6.5, so i’ll be a .308 guy. I’m ok with that - I’m sure I will not be able to outshoot the round/platform to notice. And I’m positive the deer isn’t going to refuse to die because I hit it with an antiquated caliber lol.

OK, it just hit me. I want a lever action rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor! Oh I am a sick, sick woman!!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle