i hate the "sproing!"

Reviews and discussion of rifles.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 20282
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by CDFingers »

Like a slow motion strip tease.

CDFingers
ImageImage
All the years combine and melt into a dream.
A broken angel sings from a guitar.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 13415
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by lurker »

here's the new spring, old spring and buffer. as you can see, the new spring is longer. i don't know if that's because the old one has gotten compressed over time. the sales spiel says the longer spring will cycle the action better, maybe it's on purpose, IDK.
IMG_0457.jpg
after lengthy research (about 2 minutes) i determined that a couple of drops of oil in the buffer tube might help with noise and corrosion. then the spring goes back in, followed by the buffer, all threaded/wriggled/persuaded in past the hammer and detent. i probably should have hosed it out with brake or parts cleaner first. oh well.
so we're basically done. close it up, work the action a couple of times to make sure you didn't leave anything out and we're done. time to head out to the range and burn some powder!
IMG_0458.jpg
i'll hang onto the old spring until we know it works.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 13415
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by lurker »

CDFingers wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 pm
Like a slow motion strip tease.

CDFingers
i've heard that's the best way, prolongs the pleasure. :tongue:

User avatar
TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 17307
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER: The "Crazy" part of Denton Texas
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by TrueTexan »

senorgrand wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 am
You can:

1) pack the spring in lithium grease (I did this and it works, but it's messy)
2) Buy a JP enterprises captured recoil spring ($150-$200)
3) buy a solid wood stock from boyds to dampen noise
4) trade you current lower for a Fightlite SCR lower
5) Buy a Mini 14.
number 5 is the best option. :yahoo:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

User avatar
senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 20530
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by senorgrand »

Next on my list. ;)
Image

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 13415
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by lurker »

TrueTexan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:06 pm
senorgrand wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 am
5) Buy a Mini 14.
number 5 is the best option. :yahoo:
there's nothing wrong with a mini-14, i've shot them, i like them, just out of place in my collection.
senorgrand wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:09 pm
Next on my list. ;)
glad i could help :shifty:

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 20282
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by CDFingers »

I make it a rule always to treat every spring as if I'm completely hung over and its a poopy three year old high as a kite on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs: I put it in a clear bag so I can see what it's doing while I try to change it.

This explains the failure of my child care side gig.

CDFingers
ImageImage
All the years combine and melt into a dream.
A broken angel sings from a guitar.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 13415
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by lurker »

CDFingers wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm
I make it a rule always to treat every spring as if I'm completely hung over and its a poopy three year old high as a kite on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs: I put it in a clear bag so I can see what it's doing while I try to change it.

This explains the failure of my child care side gig.

CDFingers
i dimly recall when i first put the AR together i did it in the shower stall, a towel over the drain. nothing got away, but the springs certainly tried.

User avatar
kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Location: South Florida
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by kronkmusic »

lurker wrote:
CDFingers wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm
I make it a rule always to treat every spring as if I'm completely hung over and its a poopy three year old high as a kite on Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs: I put it in a clear bag so I can see what it's doing while I try to change it.

This explains the failure of my child care side gig.

CDFingers
i dimly recall when i first put the AR together i did it in the shower stall, a towel over the drain. nothing got away, but the springs certainly tried.
I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 13415
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: i hate the

Post by lurker »

kronkmusic wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 am
I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.
even worse than shag carpet.

User avatar
senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 20530
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

Post by senorgrand »

There are certainly a lot of tiny springs in an AR. I did mine in the kitchen with a clean floor.
Image

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

User avatar
TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 17307
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: LGC MEMBER: The "Crazy" part of Denton Texas
Contact:

Re: i hate the

Post by TrueTexan »

lurker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am
kronkmusic wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 am
I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.
even worse than shag carpet.
Nothing worse than shag carpet. Friends lost their toddler in the shag found him when he turned 18 and graduated from high school.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 10453
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: Georgia
Contact:

Re: i hate the

Post by K9s »

TrueTexan wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm
lurker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am
kronkmusic wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 am
I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.
even worse than shag carpet.
Nothing worse than shag carpet. Friends lost their toddler in the shag found him when he turned 18 and graduated from high school.
Hardy har har
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

User avatar
CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 20282
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm
Location: Member LGC: norCal
Contact:

Re: i hate the

Post by CDFingers »

TrueTexan wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm
lurker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am
kronkmusic wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 am
I did mine on a folding table in my backyard after not cutting the grass for 3 weeks. I like to live dangerously.
even worse than shag carpet.
Nothing worse than shag carpet. Friends lost their toddler in the shag found him when he turned 18 and graduated from high school.
Yarf! So true. You could raise sheep in shag, and only the dog would know.

CDFingers
ImageImage
All the years combine and melt into a dream.
A broken angel sings from a guitar.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: senorgrand and 5 guests