Re: Something I've been thinking about more

cooper wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:45 am
Ridge83 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:15 am
cooper wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:11 pm I've been following this thread. Love the idea of light carbine with a soft shooting cartridge. 357 lever gun fits the bill for me. Also, I recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch bolt action in 7.62x39mm. 16 inch barrel. Iron sights. Lots of fun to shoot. We walk around a lot while deer hunting, so I'm working on making this my deer rifle. Hilly and wooded here, so long shots aren't the norm. Right now, I'm just shooting the crap out of this to see how far out I can consistently hit 8" circle with iron sights. My new project.

RugerAmericanRanch_x39.jpg
Ruger American Ranch, 7.62x39mm, iron sights.

Sweet looking rig. I wish more companies would bring out bolt actions with good GI style sights. But thankfully there will always be the aftermarket to address that need.
The sights are a by NoDak Spud. The rifle is really light and easy to handle. Not sure what the flash suppressor on the end is supposed to do for this, but I bought it used set up like this.
I thought the sights looked familiar. I just wish that sights like that were offered more from the factory along with stripper clip guides machined into the receiver. Might sound like too much of a throwback to many,however loaded stripper clips are lighter weight than fully loaded magazines,more can be carried due to the fact that much of the bulk is cut down,and they can be kept in a loaded state without damage being done to the magazine.

Re: Something I've been thinking about more

cooper wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:11 pm I've been following this thread. Love the idea of light carbine with a soft shooting cartridge. 357 lever gun fits the bill for me. Also, I recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch bolt action in 7.62x39mm. 16 inch barrel. Iron sights. Lots of fun to shoot. We walk around a lot while deer hunting, so I'm working on making this my deer rifle. Hilly and wooded here, so long shots aren't the norm. Right now, I'm just shooting the crap out of this to see how far out I can consistently hit 8" circle with iron sights. My new project.

RugerAmericanRanch_x39.jpg
Ruger American Ranch, 7.62x39mm, iron sights.
Had a little spare time yesterday. Took this to public range. Kind of busy there, but the 50-foot line was open, so I just went there. Standing, unsupported, iron sights, 50-feet. Decided to use this as a chance to practice "rapid fire" since I'm a lefty operating a right-handed bolt. Much fun was had. Small groups. Not small enough to post and brag. Small enough to smile for a long time after. Buddy insists he is now looking for same carbine with same set up. We also shot the AK. Meh. I like it, keep trying to love it. AK is fine. Has its place. Doesn't make me smile, though. Will keep trying to form a relationship with AK, but it was love at first sight with Ruger American Ranch, Nodak iron sights edition.

Reminds me. People always say, life is too short for bad coffee/wine/etc. Same for guns.