Re: Finnish Mosin Nagant M39, what's to know?

Depends on your tastes, really. I like using them and get them for all the rifles I have that use them. It's a hoot to see the expressions on some faces when you load a hunting rifle with softpoints from one ;) I just find it easier to have one or two in a pocket than loose rounds.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

sikacz wrote:So I can tell what boots he's wearing - lapikkaat, but which rifle does he have on his back? Rifle looks long, but he's probably not tall judging from the size of the reindeer...they're not that huge.
Rifle looks like an older Mosin, maybe an M1891 variety.

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

Xela wrote:
sikacz wrote:So I can tell what boots he's wearing - lapikkaat, but which rifle does he have on his back? Rifle looks long, but he's probably not tall judging from the size of the reindeer...they're not that huge.

Xela
Would make sense!
Side note, any recommendations on a bore cleaning rod?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:
Xela wrote:

Xela
Would make sense!
I use a 40" Dewey cleaning rod. It's $40 but it's well worth it.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

M4Builder wrote:
sikacz wrote:
Xela wrote:

Xela
Would make sense!
I use a 40" Dewey cleaning rod. It's $40 but it's well worth it.
What he said..if you can. I use an aluminum Hoppe's 3 piece one...bad idea, in so many ways...I clean the bores very slowely. So there you go.

Xela
"We are all born mad. Some remain so." Waiting for Godot

"...as soon as there is language, generality has entered the scene..." Derrida

sikacz wrote:The dewey is that with a jag type tip or another? I didn't see a 40", but something longer. So it's a single piece or is it a three piece?
It's a single piece with a handle that freely rotates with a very smooth bearing. I think the rod is graphite or a tough ABS plastic. The one I bought came with a .22 cal jag and a 8/32 female adapter for most commercial brushes and jags. Well worth every penny since it's quite flexible and won't break and won't unscrew sections like a 3 piece would.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

A wee bit closer.....still missing a bore cleaning rod, but thanks to y'all I have a few marked!!!!
Thanks to Xela and CDFingers, I"ve been reading through these sites for info on Mosin Nagants:

Mosin Nagant disassembly:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

Mosin Nagant cleaning:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm

Mosin Nagant parts compatibility:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinParts.htm

Mosin Nagant – slug bore:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

And picked up a few cleaning supplies!!! Now the cleaning patches I bought for my 9mm, do they need to be cut down for a 7.62 X 54R ?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
Cleaning supplies.JPG

Okay, been reading up on disassembly of my M39 and visited Gunboards, and I'm still a bit hesitant. I want to be able to lift out the action, but I'm worried I'll mess her up in the process. From what I understand the shims should not be moved, but how easily could they move. Also when re-assembling and tightening screws, how tight should they be. Will the accuracy be the same if the shims are in their original locations? Lastly do the screws follow the standsrd counter clockwise to open amd clockwise to close. Thanks!

wlewisiii wrote:I'd not worry too much about the shims - after all these rifles were made to be cleaned by soldiers in the field. They can't be too easy to screw up.

Never forget that these rifle's purpose was to kill Russians not win Olympics medals.
:roflmao: Well there is that! I was kinda wanting to kill paper with accuracy! Seeing as this baby was put together in 1968, in her final re-incarnation, I'm hesitant to mess up the tuning... Maybe I'm worried about nothing.

Veera got herself a sling! My M39 and my CZ needed a sling and at first they can share. I bought this online. It was claimed to be from Finland but who knows. It certainly has not been used much. Pretty stiff and needs some work. Recommendations?

Attachments
Finnish M39 sling1.JPG
Veera1.jpg
Veera2.JPG

CDFingers wrote:If it's green, it's a Finn. The square buckle is better than the oval, as the latter chews up the leather. As a point of interest, these guys have canvas m39 slings. I'm thinking to get one for reasons. weak reasons, but reasons. :roll:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... efault.asp

CDFingers
It's green and looks like what my grandads old one looked like, but in better shape. I hope I didn't throw it out. Moved around one two many times I think.

What's your weak reasons?

Oh, my weak reason is that there is about six cubic inches left in my gun cabinet, and a rolled up canvas sling just might fit in there.

^ Is why I'm doing a gun show in May, to sell lots of my flotsam and jetsam, and to hand out LGC pamphlets. Then I'll have some cash for gun smith work. Four projects await some guy's lathe.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:Oh, my weak reason is that there is about six cubic inches left in my gun cabinet, and a rolled up canvas sling just might fit in there.

^ Is why I'm doing a gun show in May, to sell lots of my flotsam and jetsam, and to hand out LGC pamphlets. Then I'll have some cash for gun smith work. Four projects await some guy's lathe.

CDFingers
LOL! Wish I was closer to you. You might have interesting flotsam.

Finally took the stock off the M39. Surprise, it’s an American Finn! “M” for Meriden Connecticut, New England Westinghouse. The interesting thing is the bolt body and the receiver now are both New England Westinghouse. No guarantee that’s original to the receiver, but who knows. So both the bolt and receiver are about 1917 or a few years.

Attachments
DF7BD45D-8E6C-4EDF-9F5D-F1ABF08DDF03.jpeg
3A55D51E-CDF0-4D62-8E63-CF073A5EF877.jpeg
F495D5FE-8634-42F8-A9FE-CE3D961E234E.jpeg