Re: Cost to gunsmith iron sights on modern hunting rifle?

I'm not sure what ErikO is on about, but I'll answer your question.

A few years ago I asked my local gunsmith about putting iron sights on my Weatherby Vanguard. He didn't actually give ma a quote (I had the impression it would have been in the couple hundred range), but talked me out of it. He said, if you want an iron-sighted hunting rifle, buy one of the few that still come that way from the factory.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Mason's suggestion is a good one as a practical alternative to irons (and Mason is an experienced hunter, which I am not).

1x scopes (1-4x or 1-6x, now sometimes 1-8x) are often used in 3-gun as the best compromise for medium distance shooting (4x or 6x) and close up where you need to quickly acquire and shoot possibly moving targets with both eyes open (1x). I imagine you would keep it on 1x while tromping through the woods, then dial up the magnification as needed.

If, however, you are drawn to irons for aesthetic reasons or as a potential backup for a disabled scope, you would need to go a different direction.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

It is going to depend on a few factors; a passable peep sight (rear) will run $50 - $150, with labor running between free & $200, depending on parts & machining needed.

We had a rear peep installed on a 10-22 a couple years ago & it ran $75.
Got a Mauser waiting to have a Williams peep sight installed too; the old tired eyeballs need an aperture sight in order to stay effective, scopes are not an issue as you get older but non-aperture iron sights can be problematic.
We are still kicking around a rear tang sight for a Winchester model 1890 takedown .22 short gallery gun, it could prove to be interesting.
https://www.thumbknuckle.beer
https://www.facebook.com/ThumbKnuckleBrewingCo/

:beer2:

Bob3 wrote:It is going to depend on a few factors; a passable peep sight (rear) will run $50 - $150, with labor running between free & $200, depending on parts & machining needed.

We had a rear peep installed on a 10-22 a couple years ago & it ran $75.
Got a Mauser waiting to have a Williams peep sight installed too; the old tired eyeballs need an aperture sight in order to stay effective, scopes are not an issue as you get older but non-aperture iron sights can be problematic.
We are still kicking around a rear tang sight for a Winchester model 1890 takedown .22 short gallery gun, it could prove to be interesting.

Duly noted on the tired eyes and peep site. Thanks.