Re: NEW: Ruger PC Carbine In 9mm (Yes, it DOES take Glock mags)

Deep13 wrote:After reassembly after cleaning, use some blue locktite on the charging handle screw. It came loose on mine. Same with the muzzle threading cover. Shot a bunch of Ruger mags. The first and last were standard pressure JHP, 116 gr. Rem. practice grade. It had one FTE on the last mag. I will try a Glock 33-rd. next.
Had to do the same thing to my charging handle. Not a big deal. It’s a screw getting slammed back/forth every time it’s fired.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Function tested the Ruger carbine Friday with a new 33-round Glock magazine with Magtech FMJ to get it hot, then Rem. practice grade JHP, and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty +P JHP. No malfunctions.

Saturday, I went to the 50 yard range with the Ruger PCC and the Beretta Cx4 carbine for accuracy testing. I used the same Bushnell Trophy Red/Green multi-reticle sight on both. Frankly, the one I have mounted on the Beretta was just bright enough, but the other one with a new battery was barely bright enough.

I used 100 rounds of something called Buffalo ammunition (not Buffalo Bore) and 250 rounds of Winchester "USA Forged" steel-cased cartridges. For the Beretta, I used three 30-round factory magazines. I loaded the first with that Buffalo stuff. I loaded the other two 30-rounders with the Win. That was it for the Beretta. The sight was already dialed in and the gun has a long track record of perfect functionality in cold weather and with Wolf and Tulammo. It had no malfunctions in the 90 rounds I put through it Saturday.

Since I only have one 33-round Glock mag. for the Ruger, I used the balance of the ammunition in my numerous SR9 magazines. It had two FTEs, one of which had a FTL at the same time, with the Win. steel-cased rounds. Also, the charging handle unscrewed at one point. That is a problem, since the loss of that one screw would turn the Ruger carbine into a 6.8 lb. plastic club. Since I did significantly more shooting with the Ruger, it may be that its greater dirtiness contributed to the malfunction, but I doubt it.

Accuracy was comparable, but neither was as tight as a Marlin Camp 9. Both of these guns could have benefited from a magnified scope, with presents a different problem for each gun. For the Beretta, the top rail is between the raised posts for the "iron" sights (actually plastic). That means anything that goes on that rail must fit between those posts or else be on a riser that prevents a check weld. So, as a practical matter, one is limited to a red dot. For the Ruger, there is plenty of room for a scope, but it would add to the gun's already excessive weight. At least the pic rail means one is not stuck with Ruger rings, which are apparently made from neutron star material. Nevertheless, with a red dot sight, the Marlin Camp 9 still produced a slightly better group than either, although that was with Federal Am. Eagle, not the crap I used on Saturday. Still, with a small scope, my Marlin .357 Mag. shoots tighter groups at 100 yards than either of these guns do at 50. I shot for accuracy off the bench.

I also tested the ergonomics while standing. Both guns became pretty inaccurate (more of a reflection on the shooter, probably). The Beretta felt a bit handier with its shorter overall length and stock that functions like a pistol grip. This is owning to the fact that the magazines feed into the handle like a pistol. The front sight is not on the end of the barrel, which makes the sight radius unnecessarily short. The Beretta's trigger has a lot of take-up, but is okay after that. Despite a plastic trigger group, it has been extremely reliable. Field stripping is exceptionally easy. Remove the plastic pin from the receiver, and the upper/barrel and lower/stock slide apart. The charging handle removes without a screwdriver and the bolt/recoil sprint slide out in one unit. You are left with three main parts and the pin and charging handle. This allowed access to to the breach to clean the chrome-lined bore. A lot of smoke gets into the space between the fore end grip and the barrel.

The Ruger's trigger is significantly better than the Beretta's with no real take up and a crisp break. Handling is good and it felt well-balanced shooting from a standing position. As I have said already, it is heavy and the weight is all in the receiver, or the bolt, to be specific. The stock and barrel are very light and it feels like two insubstantial extensions on a heavy midsection. The magazines go ahead of the trigger, so it has an overal longer length and a longer sight radius if using the very good iron sights. To clean the barrel from the breach, just use the take-down function, like a 10/22. Unfortunately, field stripping is also like a 10/22, necessitating removing the action from the stock with two screws, then dropping the trigger group with two pins. Finally, removing the charging handle and two more pins allows you to remove the bolt for cleaning. As noted above, even the use of locktite does not guarantee the charging handle will not come loose.

The Ruger targets are on the left. The Beretta's are on the right. The target circles are 6 inches wide.
cx4 vs rug pcc.jpg
Yet she persisted.

Deep13 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 am
Since I only have one 33-round Glock mag. for the Ruger, I used the balance of the ammunition in my numerous SR9 magazines. It had two FTEs, one of which had a FTL at the same time, with the Win. steel-cased rounds. Also, the charging handle unscrewed at one point. That is a problem, since the loss of that one screw would turn the Ruger carbine into a 6.8 lb. plastic club. Since I did significantly more shooting with the Ruger, it may be that its greater dirtiness contributed to the malfunction, but I doubt it. As noted above, even the use of locktite does not guarantee the charging handle will not come loose.
I found this bit of insight on the ar15.com forum.

"...I cleaned the bolt charging handle hole and the charging handle screw with rubbing alcohol to remove any manufacturing oils on them. and haven’t had any issues with the screw loosening since. The PC Carbine manual recommends checking the charging handle screw every 1000 rounds.."

While I doubt I'd ever put more than a few hundred through it in one session, I'm going to make it habit of checking the charging handle after each range trip.

It's a simple enough screw. I'll pretty sure I can find some Torx-style to replace the factory one.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President
Attachments
2018-03-12_7-14-01.jpg

I haven't been following this thread, so I apologize in advance if this was already covered:
How does the Ruger compare to the Citadel / Chiappa M1 9mm carbine?

The reason I ask is that while NJ will CLEARLY implement a 10 round limit on magazines, lowered from 15 rounds (?? Not sure how that makes any sense) and I've got my 10 round mags already, there's a lower probability that they implement the NY rule on semi-automatic rifles outlawing pistol grips. The Ruger takes Glock mags, but the Citadel takes Beretta 92fs mags (which I have for my Cx4 and Sub2000).

I was thinking of going with a lever action .357 and a matching revolver, but if I can find a 9mm solution that works better for me--far less expensive.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

atxgunguy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am I can't comment on how it compares to the Chiappa carbine, but it should be fully compliant with NJ laws...they already have the CA-compliant one. Given the drop-in feature of mag brand type, I imagine Ruger's already got eyes on making Beretta/Smith/FN/etc. adapters for it.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/sp ... 19101.html
That would be a really good selling point.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Well, if not Ruger then any enterprising kid w a 3D printer, a dremel, and time for trial and error would be able to come up with a working model in about a week for each brand of magazine.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

aasoverteakettle wrote:I'm feeling very good about these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excuse the delay in range report. Been out with the Security 9 and PC9 carbine a few times now. My initial reaction, and most importantly, these guns are super fun and a great pair! The carbine is low recoil and accurate. I pretty much second everything that every other review were saying about it. And the Security 9 is still a functional and reliable handgun.

Can’t wait to get to the range with a few recent additions!

I picked up this 32 round magazine for the PC9. It’s designed to fit an SR9 handgun. But I did a little grinding. It now locks into my security 9, but it cycles rough when I rack it. If it works in my security nine, I’ll call it a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:34 pm (sigh) We just lost our right to use mags over 10 rounds in NJ. We WERE allowed 15 round mags but the window to dispose or alter them closes December 10th. After that? Without special licenses, even possession is a felony. But they cannot be used during the grace period.
That sucks! We lost them 5 years ago. Would love to have a 33rd fun stick for my carbine

GTN wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:41 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:34 pm (sigh) We just lost our right to use mags over 10 rounds in NJ. We WERE allowed 15 round mags but the window to dispose or alter them closes December 10th. After that? Without special licenses, even possession is a felony. But they cannot be used during the grace period.
That sucks! We lost them 5 years ago. Would love to have a 33rd fun stick for my carbine
Yeah, but even 15 rounds is 50% better than 10 rounds.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:45 pm
GTN wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:41 pm
Yeah, but even 15 rounds is 50% better than 10 rounds.
True

Wait... I thought Trump and the Republicans were gonna save the gun owners from states-rights tyranny. No? They sure are going after the states over brown, black, female, and gay people.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 pm
Wait... I thought Trump and the Republicans were gonna save the gun owners from states-rights tyranny. No? They sure are going after the states over brown, black, female, and gay people.
Jesus. You can't even stay with the point at hand and talk about the gun itself. The ironic thing is that the people you vote for create these laws that affect you. :roflmao:

willjr75 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:08 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 pm
Jesus. You can't even stay with the point at hand and talk about the gun itself. The ironic thing is that the people you vote for create these laws that affect you. :roflmao:
I think that mags and laws for the PCC are on the topic (and poking fun at the obvious lies of ReTrumplicans is just a bonus).
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

willjr75 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 pm
Bisbee wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:12 pm Here it seems you are making friends by telling them how dumb they are. How's that working for you?
At this point there is no reason to make friends. Who wants friends that are filled with hate and contribute to their own demises?
I couldn't have said it better myself!