Re: NEW: Ruger PC Carbine In 9mm (Yes, it DOES take Glock mags)

YankeeTarheel wrote:Do they make it to take Beretta 92fs mags, like Kel-Tec's Sub2000 can?
Not now, but I imagine they will soon enough as it's just an interchangeable mag well...not some specific milled out part per brand.

Ingenious really. I'm surprised Ruger did that.

Interchangeable magazine wells for use of common Ruger® and Glock® magazines. Ships with SR-Series Pistol and Security-9® magazine well installed and an additional magazine well accepting Glock® magazines is included. Ruger American Pistol® magazine well is available at ShopRuger.com.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:Do they make it to take Beretta 92fs mags, like Kel-Tec's Sub2000 can?
Not now, but I imagine they will soon enough as it's just an interchangeable mag well...not some specific milled out part per brand.

Ingenious really. I'm surprised Ruger did that.

Interchangeable magazine wells for use of common Ruger® and Glock® magazines. Ships with SR-Series Pistol and Security-9® magazine well installed and an additional magazine well accepting Glock® magazines is included. Ruger American Pistol® magazine well is available at ShopRuger.com.
Kel-Tec did it for the Sub 2000. It can take Glock 17, 19, S&W, Beretta and probably some other.

The Ruger looks like a really nice rifle and a direct competitor to the Beretta Cx4 Storm, which, while technically not a take-down, breaks in half just as quickly: Pop the retaining pin with your finger and pull right apart. MSRP looks to be a bit less. Looks more like a rifle and less Sci-Fi:

"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

With the Kel-Tec it requires a different gun to take the other mags though- the Ruger it's an insert which is pretty neat. Also the fact that it's CA/NY/etc friendly is a pretty awesome for those of us that are limited in our options. They have a CA and a non-CA version it looks like. 10 round mag being the only difference I can see so far.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Bucolic wrote:The video says it uses 10/22 trigger group parts. It will be interesting to see whether they adopt the 10/22 group wholesale. If so, it might be possible to swap in a really wonderful Kidd trigger group. Clearly the bolt is different but the trigger guard, blade and the safety look like standard 10/22 parts, as does the bolt hold-back blade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really hope they do use the same trigger group- that would be a hell of a great reason to buy it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

It looks like it was designed to be legal in California and states with similar laws. Unlike handguns, with have special testing/roster requirements in CA, long guns just need to avoid a few obvious features, like pistol grips and flash hiders.

So unlike the CX4, which was not so designed, I expect a shit-ton of these to be sold in CA.

I think there is a huge untapped market for pistol caliber carbines like this. I can't understand why no manufacturer (until now) has filled the gap left by the Marlin Camp Carbine

Now that I think of it, isn't this sort of an updating of the Ruger Police Carbine, which was discontinued in 2007?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Police_Carbine
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I noticed that about the non-threaded barrel. California actually doesn't restrict threaded barrels on rifles, only handguns. That's a subtle difference from the NY law, I believe, where they are restricted for rifles as well.

So the ideal configuration for CA would be the standard factory config with the threaded barrel, but with a 10-round mag. I wonder if Ruger will figure that out.

One nice design feature is the rail on the underside of the handguard, for mounting a weapon light. I also approve of the aperture sight, although if I was going to shoot with irons I'd prefer that it be at the back of the receiver to maximize sight radius. Most people will be using a red dot or similar optic, so they won't care about that.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Good point on the threaded barrel- I missed that. Honestly since we can't do silencers here, the loss of the threaded barrel doesn't matter much to me, as muzzle rise on a PCC is pretty negligible. Would be nice to have the option, but not going to fall on the sword over it.

Same complaint on the peep, would have been nice to have it on the rear of the rifle. That way those with optics could remove it or just cowitness it. But I guess we can't have everything.
- Maya Angelou

Don't get me wrong: As an owner of the Cx4 I'm familiar with its features, and this is the first I've heard of the Ruger.
So FYI, the Beretta can use 2000 mags or Px4 as well as 92fs. It comes with a really nice peep sights the fold away. The rear sight has a near and far setting and is easily switched. There's a Picatinny rail on top, a short one that can be attached to either side, and a pull-out one under the barrel that's really only good for a flash light. There's an accessory that replaces the side rail that gives you 2 side rails and a solid rail under for a forward grip or biped. In NJ, mine was sold with a smooth barrel, no threading, so it didn't need to be pinned. Weirdly, our state outlaws threaded barrels on rifles but not on pistols, where the ONLY accessory would be a suppressor, and probably not a flash guard.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Problem (for us Californians) is that the Storm isn't legal here. It would need to have the pistol grip done with a kydex wrap first, like this one:
https://www.wbtguns.com/products/berett ... -legal-9mm

I like the storm, and would consider it, but the CA compliance portion sucks.

And Marlene- was wondering that myself about the peep on the back- probably exactly why they did it that way.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Problem (for us Californians) is that the Storm isn't legal here. It would need to have the pistol grip done with a kydex wrap first, like this one:
https://www.wbtguns.com/products/berett ... -legal-9mm

I like the storm, and would consider it, but the CA compliance portion sucks.

And Marlene- was wondering that myself about the peep on the back- probably exactly why they did it that way.
That's truly weird. What on earth is the justification for that?

Pistol grips are of the devil mmkay? California lists pistol grips on a rifle as being an evil feature making it an "Assault Weapon" under the law. The kydex wrap makes it a non-pistol grip. (And not comfortable at all to shoot)

And Elmo- yeah- that's exactly what this is, just a redo of the old Police Carbine. I like the updates though.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Pistol grips are of the devil mmkay? California lists pistol grips on a rifle as being an evil feature making it an "Assault Weapon" under the law. The kydex wrap makes it a non-pistol grip. (And not comfortable at all to shoot)

And Elmo- yeah- that's exactly what this is, just a redo of the old Police Carbine. I like the updates though.
There's something about pistol grips in NJ's code, but not an out-and-out ban on them. It takes a bunch of things to be a scary "Assault Weapon" but it's very confusing and, to some extent, you have to rely on the FFLs to know the codes. :see_stars:

That's why I'm looking for my next rifle to be a Windham Hunter in "nutmeg". It's a fully functional AR-10 but it doesn't look "scary", but rather like a bolt action hunting rifle.