Re: NEW: Ruger PC Carbine In 9mm (Yes, it DOES take Glock mags)

PCC is becoming very popular in competition, which accounts for much of its growing popularity. It is now an official Division in USPSA (alongside Limited, Open, Single Stack, etc.). Our local matches now seem to run around 20% PCC and growing every month. They are also starting to be allowed in some other disciplines.

Some handgun competitors complain about them ("shooting a 'rifle' in a pistol match"), but the appeal is there, especially when trying to make precise shots at middle distance (20-50 yards) at speed.

As someone said on an earlier thread here, you shouldn't think of a PCC as either a pistol or a rifle. It is more like a sub-machine gun that has to work within certain restrictions (semi-auto only, minimum stock and barrel length, etc.)

But competition aside, people will find lots of legit uses for them, whether for plinking or certain kinds of home defense or certain kinds of pest control.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:PCC is becoming very popular in competition, which accounts for much of its growing popularity. It is now an official Division in USPSA (alongside Limited, Open, Single Stack, etc.). Our local matches now seem to run around 20% PCC and growing every month. They are also starting to be allowed in some other disciplines.

Some handgun competitors complain about them ("shooting a 'rifle' in a pistol match"), but the appeal is there, especially when trying to make precise shots at middle distance (20-50 yards) at speed.

As someone said on an earlier thread here, you shouldn't think of a PCC as either a pistol or a rifle. It is more like a sub-machine gun that has to work within certain restrictions (semi-auto only, minimum stock and barrel length, etc.)

But competition aside, people will find lots of legit uses for them, whether for plinking or certain kinds of home defense or certain kinds of pest control.
Not directed at you, Elmo, but at whoever said that. Is this one of those absurdly picayune hair-splitting definitional arguments over what is and isn't a rifle. Me? Despite the various definitions, if it goes against your shoulder and has at least a 16" rifled barrel (and it shoots via some sort of gunpowder), IT'S A RIFLE!

Whether an SBR, or something without a shoulder stock is still a rifle, well, I'm willing to say I don't know. And, frankly, don't care.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Bang wrote: What does a 9mm compare to out of a carbine? And a .45?

I don't imagine one could take deer with them, could they?
Yes a dear can be taken with a 9mm one was killed 2 years ago at my camp by one of the neighbors that help one of the old timers drag his buck back to camp. It comes down to ammo and placement of your shot. He double lunged this doe with Hornady Critical Defence ammo. The bullet was found between the ribs. A 10mm/40cal or 45 most likely would have gone threw and threw.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

YTH, when I distinguish between a rifle and a "pistol caliber carbine" (not "carbine" generally, which is fuzzier), the distinction is based on the cartridge.

So if we compare this Ruger PC Carbine with, say, a Ruger Mini-14 shooting .223, they are both long guns with some similarities, but the difference in cartridge makes a big difference in usefulness at various ranges. If you want to shoot that fox or coyote raiding your henhouse at 50 yards, a PCC is probably good. At 200 yards, you need a rifle.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Crap. I really regret not buying another 100 shares of RGR when it dipped to around 48 a week or two ago. Or maybe a few hundred, and sell some of my boring mutual funds in my IRA while the Dow is high. Sounds like these carbines are going to sell well, if this thread's length is any indicator. Let's hope the CA legislature doesn't decide for some stupid reason that a take-down barrel is an evil "assault" feature.

The other inexpensive, but completely dissimilar, PCC I'm tempted by, the Rossi 92, seems to have been made of unobtanium lately. The Rossi forum indicates they're currently out of production. Even if they don't REALLY cover the same niche, I hope Ruger is churning these out fast to prey upon anyone who might have bought a lever gun if they could find it.

And, yeah, if Ruger made the trigger group compatible with the 10/22 aftermarket, that sounds like marketing genius, as does the use of Glock mags. If these guns sell well, it will be interesting to see if someone starts selling aftermarket mag wells to cover other brands of 9 mm pistol mags.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

In case anyone missed a semi-recent discussion of this class of gun, let me just throw this on the fire:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41932

And I *still* want a cheap 9 mm bullpup. I wonder if this has any chance of mutating in that direction? We should start a letter-writing campaign to Ruger!

Can a bullpup be CA-legal?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

spara wrote:Heard from someone going to SHOT that they're heavy and the trigger makes the Baby Jesus cry.
If the trigger components are interchangeable with the 10/22, it's no big deal because everybody is gonna swap in their favorite 10/22 trigger group.

Weight could be a deal breaker. According to the spec sheet, it's 6.8lbs. That's heavier than some AR.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Ruger PC Carbine

I've been thinking that a pistol caliber carbine might be a logical choice for me for a while.

Looked around a bit, but this offering intrigues me. Has a good to great pedigree (think 10/22- Mini 14. Trigger components, take down, sights). It is in my "working" caliber (9mm) and will accept all my Glock double stackers from 26, 19, 17, and I wouldn't be opposed to appropriating a couple of 33 rounders for a long gun. Those mags hold no interest for me with a sidearm.

I like the features, the design, and by all accounts is a reliable and accurate pistol caliber carbine. Easy to add optics and light if desired, which I probably would like to do. Red dot and light. I like the AR platform and there seem to be plenty of offerings out there in this format. But as I mentioned I'm intrigued with this design.

Seems like a good fit for me.

I have called around and all my LGS's are waiting for shipment since they are right off start of production so I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands around one yet.

If any of you guys are lucky enough to have some personal experience with it, know someone who has, or in the future will have, I'd be interested in what your impressions are.

Thanks guys!

:)