Over Firing

I've been listening to a, rather well informed guy on youtube give his musings on cleaning, oiling, and what adversely affects a gun. He spent a few minutes talking about heat, and what too much from over firing and not letting the barrel have time to cool can do to a gun.

He didn't mention how much firing is over firing or how I would know.

So, for a typical 22, what constitutes over firing?

Re: Over Firing

First I've heard of it when it comes to a .22. You can certainly cause premature throat erosion in a centerfire rifle by getting it too hot, but I've never heard of it as a concern for a .22.

I guess if you had some thing like a 10/22 and dumped a bunch of 25 round magazines in rapid succession you could maybe heat it up enough to hurt it?

Yeah he wasn't talking about any specific calibers and off the top of my head, I wouldn't think anything I'd do to a 22 would make a difference.

I did see a guy with a crank and a 110 round magazine go to town, unloaded a lot in a very short amount of time.

For semi-auto centerfire rifles, this is totally A Thing. For an M-4 with a "group therapy" setting if you do repeated mag dumps, you can get it hot enough to make the barrel fail catastrophically. This is also why belt fed machine guns have quick-change barrels. Centerfire rifle cartridges put out ALOT of hot gas with each press of the trigger.

Big boomer magnum rifles can heat a barrel up REAL quick, and they often last only a couple thousand rounds even with judicious rates of fire.

I don't own any Ar-15's or their ilk anymore. I do have a bolt gun with 10 round mags and a lever gun that are my general purpose rifles, and I do some close range drills shooting controlled pairs and such. Those barrels can get pretty hot quickly. My rule of thumb is that if it gets uncomfortable to put my fingers on the chamber area for more than a few seconds, I give them a rest. The .308 bolt gun has a couple thousand rounds through it and the group sizes haven't opened up, so I guess I must not be burning the throat out.

As far at the .22 goes, I'd imagine that any sane rate of fire wouldn't present a problem. I got out at lunch and shoot a 10/22 on the regular in my side yard. I crank off 50 rounds in probably ten or fifteen minutes, working prone, sitting and standing. The barrel is warm to the touch when I'm done, but by no means hot.

All guns have a finite life span. Not just the barrel but the actions also. I'm guessing some one with those hand cranks or bump stocks could wear out a 22, so could just constant rapid fire using the huge mags. When steel gets hot it moves, so will the point of aim. Unless you have a hole drilled in the back of the receiver be careful using your cleaning rod, more barrels have been ruined from cleaning rods rubbing on the crown than shooting.

I'm thinkin' not impossible with a .22, but it'd take a conscious effort.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

I shot a Walter P22 apart one day. It was an old gun, I ran 500+ Remington Goldens thru it as fast as I could before it jammed. The slide cracked, jamming it open. The pistol was plenty hot, not sure it was heat-related as much as the crappy pot metal slide. There's a lot of junk out there, some of it with a name brand.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

OldScratch wrote:I shot a Walter P22 apart one day. It was an old gun, I ran 500+ Remington Goldens thru it as fast as I could before it jammed. The slide cracked, jamming it open. The pistol was plenty hot, not sure it was heat-related as much as the crappy pot metal slide. There's a lot of junk out there, some of it with a name brand.
Whew! Were you angry at it? ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought the title of this thread pertained to the Turnip shuffle.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 am Thought the title of this thread pertained to the Turnip shuffle.
One would think right? The administration of dick moves will fire anyone.

Well finally purchased the rifle and fired about 300 rounds and the barrel was simply warm. I'd imagine I'd have to rapid fire a lot to make a difference.

DougMasters wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:36 pm
Bisbee wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 am Thought the title of this thread pertained to the Turnip shuffle.
One would think right? The administration of dick moves will fire anyone.

Well finally purchased the rifle and fired about 300 rounds and the barrel was simply warm. I'd imagine I'd have to rapid fire a lot to make a difference.
Did you get the 10/22?
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

DougMasters wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 pm Yeah I did, and I shot it. About 350 or so rounds. First thing I learned is I'm not a good shot. Second thing i learned is the dexterity in my arms is very lacking. Third thing i learned is it was funn as hell.
Lol, I don't think anyone is a good shot with a 10/22 right out of the box. Like Mini-14's, those rifles are not particularly renowned for accuracy without mods.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

Pshaw! Sez you!

Both my 10/22's have original barrels. They've both gotten lighter triggers but aside from that and the auto-bolt release, pretty stock. Plenty accurate for plinking and small game w iron sights up to 100 yds.

Congrats, Doug! Let the modding begin!
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG (17.46 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 am Pshaw! Sez you!

Both my 10/22's have original barrels. They've both gotten lighter triggers but aside from that and the auto-bolt release, pretty stock. Plenty accurate for plinking and small game w iron sights up to 100 yds.
Like you say, yours is not a stock, out-of-the-box trigger, right? Lol!

Yeah but the old mini-14's had a lot more going on than triggers to get that rep it had. Took a whole new barrel design for Ruger to start gaining some respect back on that rifle.

Speaking of Mini's,
IMG_2886.JPG
I got a 10/22 collectors model w the ghost ring rear and mini-style protected front blade. Now that is one fun plinking rifle.

I'm with you on that, Bisbee. 22's are the most fun. I bought a cheap ass Plinkster a few years back for shits and giggles. Pretty accurate but not as nice as the 10/22's for customizing.

P.S. - I've been eyeballing the newer Savage semi-auto rim fires. I always wanted an Accu-Trigger. Might have to make a day trip down to Bud's in Lexington as I can't seem to find one around Cincy.