Re: CMP RM1SERVICE coming soon! It's here!

Mustang wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm Nice and useful additions.

Are you a member of the Garand Collectors Association?
No. I've only got this one for now. There's a FB Group I found, but that's all I've joined. Then there's at least a handful of M1 Garand owners here.

They seem to be a CMP affiliate, but so is The LGC.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Elmo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 am <edit for brevity>......

Looking at that front sight, If it were mine I would send pics of it to CMP and see if they will send a replacement. If they won't, I would buy a replacement. That's an inexpensive and easily replaced part.
CMP sent me an e-mail the other day, I nearly forgot I had sent it. A few days later a new sight and screw was in my mailbox! Great people at the CMP!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_4913.JPG

AndyH wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm
Eris wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:34 pm
AndyH wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:00 pm I'm lookin' forward to the Texas Garand meet! 8-)
Don't forget to bring a bayonet!
Whuh-oh - how rowdy is this gonna get?! :lol:
Everyone needs a bayonet! I just got a reproduction M1905 bayonet. I'm having difficulty getting on my M1, though, because the slot for the lug is too tight. Not sure how I'm going to fix that. Might just have to live with. The bayonet is tight enough, though, when I put it on that it won't fall off, and it's just for display anyway. I would have gotten an original but they go for $300-$400 and that's more than I wanted to spend right now.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Finally started taking it apart....

SA 1-64 stencil marking is interesting. Since the barrel has a 12-63 SA marking on it, I'm guessing this was rebuilt or refurbished at the Springfield Armory on January 1964. Neat since January is my birth month and on that January I turned four.
Last edited by sikacz on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attachments
IMG_5072.JPG

Eris wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 am I'm waiting on taking mine apart, but I read up on how to refinish a stock in one of the gunsmithing books I bought, so eventually I'll take it apart to do that. Other than that I don't plan on modifying it.
No mods here either. The front sight was damaged and CMP sent me another.

lurker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 pm I could take mine apart and it would look mostly just like that.
that's the thing about garands, apart from the stampings they all look pretty much alike.
It is a testament to how well manufacturing was able to produce a product with interchangeable parts. Stamping gives clues to it's history. Would have been interesting to have the stock that CMP disposed of as well as the new one.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 am
lurker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 pm I could take mine apart and it would look mostly just like that.
that's the thing about garands, apart from the stampings they all look pretty much alike.
It is a testament to how well manufacturing was able to produce a product with interchangeable parts. Stamping gives clues to it's history. Would have been interesting to have the stock that CMP disposed of as well as the new one.
yes, it's glorious!
anyone got the postwar beretta m1 in 308 with the box mag?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm Equal parts beeswax, mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. Dissolve them together over very low heat with no flame, like an upside down iron outside. When it cools you put a bit on and buff it.

CDFingers
Going to make some of this mix today. Did this require any sanding or can I apply it over the stain? I'm going to make a very small batch. Bought some purified bees's wax from Rockler today. On my way to buy a cheap metal pot, so my wife won't get upset. Can this stuff be stored in a jam jar with a metal lid?