Re: CMP RM1SERVICE coming soon! It's here!

FlyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 am Sometimes you really got to like karma. I hadn't really thought about this rifle not coming with a clip. In all the excitement, I never really got around to buying any accessories. So when it came, I was a little disappointed to say the least. No pew, pew, ping. I went to my LGS/indoor range and asked if the had any for sale. They didn't but the old guy in the shop keeps one around for test firing customer repairs. When he came up front to let me borrow it I was immediately scolded when he saw my ammo. Rookie mistake I guess. I had grabbed some 180 grain 30-06 from my stash. That's when I got the lecture I needed about what to feed the rifle. Nothing over 150 grain and thicker walled brass. If I hadn't ask for help I would I ended up destroying my Operating Rod. Lesson learned, from now on do the research before the investing.
As for the ammo, you can get replacement gas plugs that let you use most .30-06 ammo in it. I have this one.

http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

Mind you, I still buy ammo made specifically for the Garand anyway, but it's nice to have a little assurance that if I ever forget and use something "too powerful" that I won't actually hurt my gun.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm
FlyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:03 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:30 am
By the way check under the foam for your paperwork and clip. Also a user manual.
Oops. Oh there your are. :blush:
Sneaky Bastards! :whistle:
Yeah, only my curiosity about the case led me to find that.
[/quote]

Hey guys, I gave y'all a photo with all the stuff that should have been included. :beer2: Yeah, they like to hide them!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:15 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 am
lurker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 pm I could take mine apart and it would look mostly just like that.
that's the thing about garands, apart from the stampings they all look pretty much alike.
It is a testament to how well manufacturing was able to produce a product with interchangeable parts. Stamping gives clues to it's history. Would have been interesting to have the stock that CMP disposed of as well as the new one.
yes, it's glorious!
anyone got the postwar beretta m1 in 308 with the box mag?
Passing on a Beretta M1 is one of the mistakes I’m likely to never forget.

I finally had a chance to take the M1 out for the first time Sunday. I had brought a friend and a couple of other fun things to shoot. We started down on the pistol side and moved our way over to the 50 yard just to get a feel for the sites. Now, I don't know if it was the over eager anticipation, but for the life of me I could not feed the loaded clip more than halfway into the magazine. The thing jammed bad enough that I had to pull the stock off and push it out from the under side. Two more attempts hoping other clips would have better luck, still nothing. A gentleman approached and asked me if the clip was overloaded. I counted 8 rounds in each, so in a moment of self doubt, I took one round out and lo and behold, click. It Fed right into position. After that I continued only loading 7 rounds. No further issues. Has anybody ever heard about this? Is there a break-in period? Could I have re-assembled the innards incorrectly? Well as the story continues, I warned my friend about "Garand Thumb" and explained and showed him the loading procedure. I'll be damned if as I am stepping back off the firing line when I hear Click, Ow! Poor bastard turned around holding out his bleeding thumb.

By the way, total tack driver. After figuring out where the bullet rise was at that short of a distance, 2-3 inch grouping. We put about 80 rounds through and left. We didn't move to the longer range, I think his thumb was hurting.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.