Re: CMP RM1SERVICE coming soon! It's here!

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 pm Almost apart as much as I need. I'll take the butt plate and metal off the stock and leave the metal bits on the smaller wood part.
How did you loosen the clip holding on the upper portion of the stock? I took a cursory look at that last week but couldn't figure out how to remove it without damaging the wood.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 pm Almost apart as much as I need. I'll take the butt plate and metal off the stock and leave the metal bits on the smaller wood part.
How did you loosen the clip holding on the upper portion of the stock? I took a cursory look at that last week but couldn't figure out how to remove it without damaging the wood.
If you mean the hardguard clip, CMP and others sell a tool (inside-out pliers) specifically designed for this. Here is one from Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10069 ... lip-pliers
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Eris wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 pm
You have to drive the pin out holding the front metal retainer in place. Then you gently pull the metal collar out toward the front. Once it's off, you pull the guard forward. The clip is in a slot. I'll take pic later and show you. I don't see much reason to remove the clip. I'll let it sit.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Eris wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:12 pm Ooh! Nice set of pictures! That makes it look fairly easy. I knew the clip was in a groove, but I didn't realize it could slide off.
Yep. Just got to take everything off down the pipe. It's the last piece off and just slides right off.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

FlyGuy wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm I just received my Order Verification. :yahoo:
I sent the package Friday April 6th. So, my order seems to be running a bit slower then others. Oh well.
I am in the system and patiently waiting. :rolleyes:
Hooray! :yahoo:

My experience is that it didn't take long to arrive after they actually put me in the system.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 am
lurker wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:29 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 pm I could take mine apart and it would look mostly just like that.
that's the thing about garands, apart from the stampings they all look pretty much alike.
It is a testament to how well manufacturing was able to produce a product with interchangeable parts. Stamping gives clues to it's history. Would have been interesting to have the stock that CMP disposed of as well as the new one.
Would that they had that sort of manufacturing in Eibar a few decades earlier.

Eris wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:03 pm
FlyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am :yahoo:
:elephant:
:mbounce:
Look what just showed up.
Going lube it and shoot it.
Jakes M1.jpg
Woohoo! :yahoo: :clap2: :clap: :beer2: :bananadance:

Now we have to have another Garand get together. :D

I see you also got the nice case they sent me. Apparently not everyone gets the same style case.
Absolutely! They had run out. It was mentioned on the CMP forum. Guess they are in stock now.

Sometimes you really got to like karma. I hadn't really thought about this rifle not coming with a clip. In all the excitement, I never really got around to buying any accessories. So when it came, I was a little disappointed to say the least. No pew, pew, ping. I went to my LGS/indoor range and asked if the had any for sale. They didn't but the old guy in the shop keeps one around for test firing customer repairs. When he came up front to let me borrow it I was immediately scolded when he saw my ammo. Rookie mistake I guess. I had grabbed some 180 grain 30-06 from my stash. That's when I got the lecture I needed about what to feed the rifle. Nothing over 150 grain and thicker walled brass. If I hadn't ask for help I would I ended up destroying my Operating Rod. Lesson learned, from now on do the research before the investing.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 am Sometimes you really got to like karma. I hadn't really thought about this rifle not coming with a clip. In all the excitement, I never really got around to buying any accessories. So when it came, I was a little disappointed to say the least. No pew, pew, ping. I went to my LGS/indoor range and asked if the had any for sale. They didn't but the old guy in the shop keeps one around for test firing customer repairs. When he came up front to let me borrow it I was immediately scolded when he saw my ammo. Rookie mistake I guess. I had grabbed some 180 grain 30-06 from my stash. That's when I got the lecture I needed about what to feed the rifle. Nothing over 150 grain and thicker walled brass. If I hadn't ask for help I would I ended up destroying my Operating Rod. Lesson learned, from now on do the research before the investing.
I thought we told you about 150gr. By the way check under the foam for your paperwork and clip. Also a user manual.