Thinning the herd, which one to go?

I never wanted to have a "collection" per se but with the ascendency of far right types I've found that I have more guns than I wanted. The current candidates are my .308's; an M1A SOCOM and an AR10 from PSA. One has to go. Each has its strong points. The 16" SOCOM is as accurate as the 20" AR. Mag changes are faster on the AR and the recoil is softer (not that recoil is that big of an issue for me). The AR is a skosh lighter. Mags are probably easier to come by for the AR though I have plenty for both. The M1A scores on sentimentality (I was one of the last to train on the M14) and the fact that it doesn't have the black gun vibe. There are good reasons to keep both butI feel like one's gotta go. Which one would you vote off the island?
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

Re: Thinning the herd, which one to go?

MaxwellG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:02 pm How many is a "collection" then? Keep the AR and the M14.
My thought as well. I'm just going to stop buying when I reach a certain point. But, it's not my decision and I am curious as to what constitutes a "collection". Perhaps, rephrase, what constitutes a herd?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:09 pm
MaxwellG wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:02 pm How many is a "collection" then? Keep the AR and the M14.
My thought as well. I'm just going to stop buying when I reach a certain point. But, it's not my decision and I am curious as to what constitutes a "collection". Perhaps, rephrase, what constitutes a herd?
I'm staying out of this one. :whistle:
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:38 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:09 pm
I'm staying out of this one. :whistle:
I'm pretty sure you have a herd. I got a few critters that need a slightly larger corral.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

senorgrand wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm If you think you'll ever want to shoot another cartridge from your rifle, keep the AR10. If you live in a state that might pass a "features ban", keep the M1A.

Here in CA, SOCOM with wood furniture would be pretty sweet.
If 6.5 Creedmore was as common and cheap as .308 I'd keep them both and get another upper for the AR. Wood furniture for the SOCOM is definitely on my wish list. Crap! I may have keep them both.

sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:45 pm Not sure I understand your reasoning for getting rid of a rifle, but, keep the M1A.
It's mostly a desire to reduce duplication, in this case caliber and purpose. I don't see a need for two semiauto .308s. Spend less on guns, more on ammo and training. I have a Taurus Ultralight .22mag that's definitely going. My Baikal 12 GA/.308 is on the block in the marketplace here.