Why I hate your fucking muzzle brake

My ears are ringing. I haven't been exposed to any loud noise recently. No loud concerts. My last range trip was four days ago. I have tinnitus and a meaningful amount of hearing loss. I talk loud and say "what" a lot.

At the range, I am very serious about hearing protection. Plugs go in when I'm getting out of the car, they don't come out until I'm driving away. Muffs over the plugs are a usual, but not always thing. I have yet to find muffs worth a damn that I can use with most rifles.

Your useless fucking muzzle brake on your piece of shit no recoil Amateur Rifle that you shoot all over the paper is fucking killing me. It's making you deaf too. It isn't saving you shoulder pain. It isn't making you a better shot. It IS making you likely to join me in the land of the constant squeal.

Here's a very important article about concussive hearing damage. It talks about hearing damage by way of sound waves transmitted through your facial bones. It focuses on supressor use for competition, but the principles at play impact all of us.

Please. Flash cans are really cool and everyone will know that you're cool when you get one. Please please please go get one. I'm asking nicely. I'm not yelling. I'm just talking really loud.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ring-loss/

Re: Why I hate your fucking muzzle brake

senorgrand wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:52 pm Why are brakes so loud? I mean, say you had rifles with the same barrel lengths and same calibers...what makes a brake louder than say a flash can or nothing at all? Is it just that it's the same dB, but blasted direct at your neighbors, rather than downrange?
I use brakes on my 5.56 and .308 ARs because they have the threads/taper for my suppressor. I've fired both rifles with the brake, A2 flash hider, and without any muzzle device. Brakes don't make the shot louder, but they do direct sound to the sides. I have to say, though, that I'm not bothered being next to 5.56 guns with brakes, but .308 and 6.5 Creedmore and Grendel can be annoying.

The brake will stay on my .308 as it is part of the blast control section of my suppressor. I expect Marlene wouldn't have a problem shooting next to my suppressed AR-10. Hearing Protection Act, bay-bee! :lol:

I run muzzle brakes on my competition Amateur Rifles, but I usually rent a bay or go on off hours when shooting from a bench to zero. Muzzle brakes aren't about making anyone a better shot or reducing recoil, they're useful for making a rifle shoot as flat as possible for faster split times between shots. I agree that they are obnoxious, but there's a right time and place to use them and a crowded firing line isn't one of them

if only that act actually went through so we could put suppressors on everything and stop this muzzle break nonsense once and for all. Until then I'm stuck with flash cans or "linear compensators." Granted everything i shoot at the moment is unthreaded and in a pistol caliber so no muzzle devices for me. Things will change when I finally get a rifle in .308 or similar.

There is no need for any muzzle device on a .308 Rifle. If you can’t shoot it comfortably without, you can’t shoot it comfortably with. My 7 Rem Mag definitely recoils, but a brake would not be magically different. If 308 hurts too much, you need a heavier gun or a smaller caliber.

Spara, I agree completely. If I only saw brakes on 375 Loudenboomer or competition rifles, I’d have no complaints. In CA it is especially bad because every dickhead with an AR has one because they look cool and flash hiders are verboten.

Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 pm In CA it is especially bad because every dickhead with an AR has one because they look cool and flash hiders are verboten.
Ah-ha - that's an issue! You're stuck with an unintended consequence of the AWB silliness. Sorry.
Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 pm My only disagreement is that they do also direct sound to the rear. Not as much as the sides, but definitely more than a bare muzzle.
Exactly - at a perfect angle to direct the blast towards the next person's head.

Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 pm There is no need for any muzzle device on a .308 Rifle. If you can’t shoot it comfortably without, you can’t shoot it comfortably with. My 7 Rem Mag definitely recoils, but a brake would not be magically different. If 308 hurts too much, you need a heavier gun or a smaller caliber.

Spara, I agree completely. If I only saw brakes on 375 Loudenboomer or competition rifles, I’d have no complaints. In CA it is especially bad because every dickhead with an AR has one because they look cool and flash hiders are verboten.
I mean getting a muzzle device for flash and noise. Linear compensator/flash hider/flash can/silencer etc. I've seen too many people who've gone deaf or close to it in this hobby. Granted if I get a normal bolt rifle, It might not even be threaded. A lever rifle most definitely won't be threaded. Semi-autos have a tendency though to be threaded and have either a muzzle break or an A2 on the end which I would probably want to replace with something a little more friendly towards my range neighbors.
senorgrand wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:04 pm You know, this has me thinking. I'm window shopping for a used 44 mag wheelgun and it seems more than a few are ported and some even have brakes. Are these much louder too? I think I'd prefer a plain muzzle, but sometimes you can't be too picky when a good used gun comes along.
Yep, louder for sure. Magnum or no, there is still a concussive wave pushing the bullet out of the barrel and recoiling the gun. The only way a muzzle break wouldn't cause concussion would be for the barrel to be so absurdly long that the air pressure in front of and behind the bullet equalize before it leaves the barrel, at which point you have a vacuum forming in the barrel slowing the bullet down. I don't know of any guns built like that except maybe antiques with low pressures and long barrels.

Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 pm Spara, I agree completely. If I only saw brakes on 375 Loudenboomer or competition rifles, I’d have no complaints. In CA it is especially bad because every dickhead with an AR has one because they look cool and flash hiders are verboten.

Ugh, unintended consequences. Didn't know that flash hiders were banned, talk about going full stupid.

Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 pm There is no need for any muzzle device on a .308 Rifle. If you can’t shoot it comfortably without, you can’t shoot it comfortably with. My 7 Rem Mag definitely recoils, but a brake would not be magically different. If 308 hurts too much, you need a heavier gun or a smaller caliber.
I agree. I've only shot a .308 once, and that was a DPMS AR-10 rental. I was stunned by how little recoil it had--I don't remember if it had a muzzle break or not as it was a few months ago. It was LOUD, much louder than the 9mm I'm used to, louder than .357 Mag, but, again, the recoil wasn't much more than my Cx4, and certainly nothing at all uncomfortable. I expected it to kick like a mule but it didn't at all. It was also very easy to shoot accurately. (I had just wanted to see if I could handle shooting .308 ammo...Not sure I can handle the price though!!!!)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:58 pm
I agree. I've only shot a .308 once, and that was a DPMS AR-10 rental. I was stunned by how little recoil it had--I don't remember if it had a muzzle break or not as it was a few months ago. It was LOUD, much louder than the 9mm I'm used to, louder than .357 Mag, but, again, the recoil wasn't much more than my Cx4, and certainly nothing at all uncomfortable. I expected it to kick like a mule but it didn't at all. It was also very easy to shoot accurately. (I had just wanted to see if I could handle shooting .308 ammo...Not sure I can handle the price though!!!!)
It probably did have a muzzle break simply because that's what ranges like to slap on them for people who don't know what recoil is. The M1A with a flash hider I test fired was a lot easier on the ears and the recoil wasn't bad by any means compared to a DPMS pattern AR 308 with a muzzle break. At most, a compensator might help a little with muzzle rise, but the biggest help is a flash hider or can to reduce concussion.

BillMcD wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:58 pm
It probably did have a muzzle break simply because that's what ranges like to slap on them for people who don't know what recoil is. The M1A with a flash hider I test fired was a lot easier on the ears and the recoil wasn't bad by any means compared to a DPMS pattern AR 308 with a muzzle break. At most, a compensator might help a little with muzzle rise, but the biggest help is a flash hider or can to reduce concussion.
I dunno. It's a NJ range and while they CAN rent non-compliant stuff, I don't recall. My revolver has a lot more recoil when firing .357.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

In only use flash hiders on my rifles, I am a big 7.62x51 guy and as FALs are what I really learned on, I have never felt the need for a muzzle break. Especially when the vast majority don't really seem to work. I am of the belief that people learn on AR's and never develop proper shooting techniques because the 5.56 doesn't punish them for their mistakes. I also blame youtube and social media for the dissemination of "unique" shooting theories.
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.