Light wood stocks

Reviews and discussion of rifles.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

BillMcD
Been around awhile

Light wood stocks

#1 Post by BillMcD » Thu May 10, 2018 9:30 am

I've been looking over the internet looking at lee enfields for no particular reason (other than I would like to eventually add one to my collection) and I noticed relatively few have that light colored wood. I think it's beech tree wood but I'm not certain. Did light color wood finishes just fall out of favor or is it just that hard to get a nice, resilient, light colored wood stock? I guess I could get an unfinished stock but the last time I tried to stain wood was almost 20 years ago and I wouldn't want to start again with a gun stock. Anyone have any ideas? Are dark wood stocks just that fashionable? :cool:

Also is this going to turn into a "How to" question? :rolleyes:

CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Light wood stocks

#2 Post by CDFingers » Thu May 10, 2018 11:00 am

Unfinished, both beech and arctic birch are very light golden colored, with the birch a bit more white. Most finishes darken woods. Pure tung oil might be your best bet to retain the original color.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Like I told you--what I said:
Steal your face right off your head.

shinzen
Site Admin

#3 Post by shinzen » Thu May 10, 2018 11:09 am

I've got a beech stock set on my VZ-58 and think it looks damned sharp. (Far better than the later beaver barf look IMO)

senorgrand
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by senorgrand » Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 pm

A few things...all conjecture of course:

I think that, unless fighting in snow or sand, a dark stock is going to be better to keep from sticking out like a sore thumb. Second, militaries love uniformity...hard to do with light finishes. Third, dark finishes cover more flaws and imperfections. Fourth, before modern varnishes, dark finishes would provide more protection in a cost-effective manner. Last, they look more butch ;)

Release the tapes!