Daniel Defense M4 patrol rifle

Last year my agency decided it was time that we all carried a patrol rifle (as in all officers both uniformed and detectives). What with school shootings and what not.

The Lieutenant in charge of the firearms program went to Daniel Defense and got the estimate for seventy M4 rifles along with the iron sights, aimpoint and weapons lights. They then had another lower estimate with just the iron sights and the light and finally just the iron sights.

The Chief then went in front of the city council and requested $200,000 from the city council. That was the sum required for the top estimate. Admin was prepared to then ask for the lower sums. Everybody figured the council would freak. Instead it passed without a single squawk. So I now carry a patrol rifle with a three point sling, three magazines and a carrying case. Nice rifle. Too rich for my personal finances, but it's kind of neat to have a weapon from the highest bidder.

I type therefore I am

Re: Daniel Defense M4 patrol rifle

Over seventy I believe. I don't know the exact number. As well as the spare magazines, parts, and so on. It isn't cheap that's for sure. Truth be told I kind of miss my Remington 870, but times change. All the shotguns have been converted to "less-lethal" status. In other words they now fire bean-bags. I was the last officer in the department to still carry shotgun. I was told that the shotguns were going away and I would now carry a patrol rifle. Felt like the end of an era.
I type therefore I am

Aimpoints are $600 or $700 each at retail. DD is not known for being affordable, they're mostly known for being good quality (usually). I would have gone with BCM myself, but that's just me.

Nice rifles. Now you too are equipped to "kill large numbers of people quickly"...

Almost seems like the police are getting ready for something. I wonder...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Oh, I have no issue with the equipment choice. DD is pretty good stuff (usually). The handguard on those rifles cost $300 or $400 alone. It's not DPMS, but at least it's not Noveskie or CMT.

I'm just curious as to why. I mean, we're constantly harangued as to how we need to get these nasty "weapons of war" off the streets, that nobody needs or should have more than 5 or 10 rounds of ammo, that hunters don't need more than 2 or 3 shots, that we don't need an AR for defense when a shotgun will do just fine.

But the police insist on bringing ever more "weapons of war" on to the streets, carrying nearly a hundred rounds of ammo no less. For each one. Why? What are they anticipating?

In an urban environment, it's nearly guaranteed that every shot is going to hit something or someone. It'll be the very rare exception that runs out of gas and falls harmlessly to the ground. So why do they need a rifle that can shoot 600 or 800 yards?

I suppose I'm just a person who asks too many questions...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 am I suppose I'm just a person who asks too many questions...
Seriously! Looks like we'll need to deliver an intervention. Go buy a $2000 safe and put all of your bolts and magazines in there. Buy another one for the firearms. We'll procure a court-appointed custodian (at your expense) to hold the combinations until we see that you've stopped asking questions for at least 6 months. :lol: (PS - this is not authoritarian - because I said so.) :roflmao:

At least 3 reasons why a civvy in NJ couldn't own this.
1) Flash arrestor
2) Collapsible stock
3) Magazine with more than 10 rounds
*4) Bonus? Is the flash arrestor welded to the barrel or screwed-on and removable? Can't have that either!

Definitely looks like a serious LEO weapon!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Contrary to popular belief, a law enforcement officer rarely needs such hardware. If needed, those will work just fine.

I don't know anything about your city council, but I cannot imagine that the extra money would have gone to feed the poor or fill in potholes here. I hope they spent a lot more on your body armor and pay raises!

The real bonus is that those will eventually become "police trade-in" weapons for sale. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

A police officer has every reason to need a quality carbine. Same with a civilian. Both value accurate, hard hitting, easy to maintain rifles. The AR15 hit the sweet spot with ease of manufacture, relatively low cost, high levels of mechanical accuracy and good ergonomics. I have an AR-type rifle, but if someone is going to try unlawfully forcing entry, I will reach for a shotgun as given the norms in my locality, its a much better choice despite the fact that the AR15 is a much better choice for ballistic and ergonomic reasons.

Your department has good taste.