Garand barrel question

I just noticed that the barrel of my M1 has stamped on it "S-A-10-49". Am I correct in assuming, therefore, that the barrel was made by Springfield Armory in October, 1949?
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: Garand barrel question

SVT40 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 pm Yes, barrel is dated October 1949. Does it have the DoD mark on the stock? More than likely it’s an Arsenal refurb with a barrel that old if the receiver dated to WW2
The stock is new from the CMP. I assume that CMP built this rifle by cannibalizing others for parts, since the receiver's serial number dates it to 1955-57.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:37 pm
SVT40 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 pm Yes, barrel is dated October 1949. Does it have the DoD mark on the stock? More than likely it’s an Arsenal refurb with a barrel that old if the receiver dated to WW2
The stock is new from the CMP. I assume that CMP built this rifle by cannibalizing others for parts, since the receiver's serial number dates it to 1955-57.
Yeah, in that case it’s a parts gun. Doesn’t matter though, CMP does a great job getting them assembled. I only have one Garand now, a complete mint 1953 H&R. Traded it even for a S&W 629-1 lol

Eris wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:37 pm
Could have been CMP or where ever the rifle was brought back from. Can't really know what armorers do in different armies.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

By the way, when you fully take the gun apart, you can tell a lot about it simply by observation. If the inside parts are similarly covered with Cosmoline or other stuff it's likely it's been that way for a while.
Last edited by sikacz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

A 1949 barrel would have been a large run. Might be the original put on when receiver was new. Might have been a replacement barrel later. Either way, chance of it being a used barrel off another gun is small.

I just put a brand new Remington made barrel on a 1903A3 that’s dated 1943, but was never used. They made a LOT of spares.

Marlene wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm A 1949 barrel would have been a large run. Might be the original put on when receiver was new. Might have been a replacement barrel later. Either way, chance of it being a used barrel off another gun is small.

I just put a brand new Remington made barrel on a 1903A3 that’s dated 1943, but was never used. They made a LOT of spares.
That would make sense. Finns kept a bunch of unused barrels from WW2 in storage and in the 1960's and 1970's used them to build essentially new M39 and m28/76 rifles.