Re: lever guns: recommendations pls

Marlene wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 pm Nothing will make a Marlin or a Winchester 92 clone or a modern "Henry" as slick as any version of the Winchester 73, Uberti, Miroku, or otherwise. It's not about quality but about design mechanics.
I would disagree. A '92 clone can be made very smooth. What can't be done, due to the mechanics, is the action "short stroked" to shorten the length of the lever's throw, or movement. The '92 I use for Cowboy Action Shooting is tuned and very smooth. Due to snapping the flat spring that is a part of the loading gate on it, I borrowed a tuned and stroked '73 for our last State match. While it was much faster than my '92 because of the stroke, I cannot say it was appreciably "smoother" in going through the throw. Of course, I'm not fast enough of a shooter for the short throw to make a big difference, but that is beside the point. I will get a tuned and stroked '73 eventually, but right now, I'm happy with the '92 I have, because it lets me play the game at less than half the cost.
Gotta say, Doctor, your talent for alienatin' folks is near miraculous.

Since I'm no "maven" of any firearm, but relevantly of lever-action rifles, but am serious about .357 and at least 10 rounds in the mag, I'm wondering if I really SHOULD avoid the new Marlin 1894CB that run $600-$700 or if I'll be fine with it despite the clunky action. Will it reliably be durable, load , not jam, go "bang" and hit what I am aiming at? Reliably is the key word here.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I dunno about current production quality, but there’s definitely nothing wrong with the design. I don’t think it has the potential for the magic slickness of the 73 but it’s definitely not a clunky design. Speaking again for the design without specific knowledge of a certain production run, it should be everything you want.

Marlene wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm I dunno about current production quality, but there’s definitely nothing wrong with the design. I don’t think it has the potential for the magic slickness of the 73 but it’s definitely not a clunky design. Speaking again for the design without specific knowledge of a certain production run, it should be everything you want.
Thanks, Marlene. That helps.
senorgrand wrote:Hell yeah. Except this one would be wood and nickle-plating, with a nice peep sight. Maybe takedown too. ;)
It's called a Windham Hunter...AR-10, .308 in nutmeg! (OK, no nickel or peep sites...but still...)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Kayaker wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:35 am I've got a new Marlin 1894c ( .357 Mag. ) in jail right now. I'll let ya'll know how it works in a few weeks.
I'll certainly be excited to find out how it does. I just got a 40 year old version and it instantly (ie, after I found, with an RSO, what I had assembled wrong) became my favorite firearm. I paid a significant premium for the older version, but the action is supposed to be much smoother--and I'd love to compare them :D :thumbup:

Kayaker wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:14 am From what I've been able to gather, the quality seems to have gotten better with the latest release. They are a bit tight at first but get smoother with use.
I've got a Skinner peep sight for it already.
Sounds good! I think the only real difference in construction is, of course, the new extra safety. In the older one, you have to leave it on half-cock. That locks the trigger and prevents the hammer inadvertently banging into the firing pin. Tightness, I guess, is really a machining and break-in by-product.

I want to get more comfortable with the rifle as is, then I think I'll put on a lower-power scope and trigger spur. Maybe.

I have both the Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 and the .22 Big Boy Silver, both are nice rifles and affordable.
The .22 action is smooth-as-butter right out of the box and ammunition is inexpensive and plentiful.
The .357 is versatile as it takes both 38 Special and .357 rounds.
I'd shy away from a 30-30 unless you plan on hunting.
Winchester is getting awful proud of their lever-actions, they're overpriced, I have one I bought back in 1994 in 45 LC.
A Marlin might be nice.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

As I was looking at lever action rifles, I saw the Browning makes rifles that use box magazines, and even make them in .223 and .308.
But what has me baffled is why they don't make it so they can use AR-15 and AR-10 box magazines, rather than ones that only hold 5 rounds. Is that because the lever would impact longer magazines?

Meanwhile I'm very pleased with my 40 year old "brand new" Marlin 1894!

Mah Gawd! Banish the thought! Your newfound appreciation of the levergun obviously has not penetrated deeply enough, young padawan.

(Still figuring a way to funnel Clorox into my ears to bleach away the picture you painted in my mind...)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 pm Mah Gawd! Banish the thought! Your newfound appreciation of the levergun obviously has not penetrated deeply enough, young padawan.

(Still figuring a way to funnel Clorox into my ears to bleach away the picture you painted in my mind...)
Seems to make sense to me...it's already using a box mag that only holds 4 rounds.
Browning-BLR-Lightweight-81-Stainless-Takedown-034015-505.jpg