Oh look another AK

So a few years ago I purchased a used AK, it was in good shape and I magpuled it up. Then I found out that due to some ear/inner ear issues I had the recoil impulse was like a spike into my jaw and head on that side just because of where the cheek weld happens. So I sold it, I was sad to see it go because it was fun but eh, too much pain. Fast forward to now, I've gotten most of my issues ironed out and I'm no longer bothered by anything similar. So it was time for an AK again (plus I graduated College finally and ended up getting a bunch of cash from family, so guilt free gun). Walked into my LGS, looked at the used CZ Rami in the case (almost ended up with that) picked up a century RAS47 and was like yeeep this needs to go home with me. Was cheaper than the internet even with tax so it happened. So I stopped at the range in the town where my LGS is and put 60 rounds through it. No issues to report.

I am aware of the quality concerns and issues with Century guns, so I'm on the lookout for the peening of the carrier and a few other issues. I doubt this will be a super high round count gun for me, so I'm not too worried.

I can't say no to Magpul, I enjoy the ergos too much.

Re: Oh look another AK

Well, Century has been hit and miss, but some of the more recent AKs have been fine out of the box. IE no canted sights or anything. I can't remember the model name of the other one(C39v2?), but the most recent RAS is supposed to be some of the best at that price point after working out the kinks. The Century imports still have poor quality control though.

I've been debating getting an AK, but due to a lack of a good reason to own one for me, I haven't been able to justify buying one with my current funds. I would like to get an AKM pistol at some point, but for some reason most have a welded thread protector. Those things could really use a flash hider. Also a brace.

Congratulation on the AK, Oh and that whole little college thing!
I have a C39v2 and have not had a single issue with it. I have shot a mix of steel and brass casings, maybe 1000+ rounds through it. Not one hitch so far.
Because I liked it so much, I recently acquired a Century Draco Micro. Useless fun little bastard!
Have fun with yours!
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Yep Congrats on both. A College education is the gift to yourself that keeps on giving.

I have both a Draco and a Mini Draco (still wish I’d bought a Micro) and have been happy with the quality of both. Also used magpul stuff and an ALG AK trigger on the full sized. You can’t beat them for cheap, fun shooting. I have Yugos as well and while there is a discernible quality difference, they don’t really shoot any better.

With Centiry made AK’s (RAS and C39), pay attention to bolt wear on both, and also the front trunnions on the RAS. It’s not a matter of if they’ll fail, it’s a matter of when. They are cast instead of forged. For the C39, get a Polish bolt and headspace it and you’ll have a solid milled AK. As for the RAS, a Polish bolt will help get it a longer lifespan, but the trunnion will eventually wear. Either rifle stock will do fine as casual shooters, but if you’re going to use them heavily, you will run into problems. Rule of thumb regarding AK’s: always get com-bloc for longevity and reliability. The American made ones are made at low costs (cheaper parts like castings) to maximize profits. Com-bloc one’s are built in factories that have been producing military AK’s for decades (Cugir, Arsenal, etc).

I have the Century Yugoslav AK unfoldeder, stamped made in Yugoslavia, no problems at all. Shoots great.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:45 pm I have the Century Yugoslav AK unfoldeder, stamped made in Yugoslavia, no problems at all. Shoots great.
Yugoslavia or Serbia??

If Yugoslavia, it’s a kit built gun (US receiver and barrel). All the important internals are com-bloc. You’re good to go

If Serbia, it’s a Zastava Import brought in by Century. You’re good to go :)

Update!

Added an Ultimak railed gas block, because century likes to use proprietary rail mounts. I don't feel like dropping 100+ bucks on an RS regulate mount so here we are. Installation was easy even with the magpul handguard. Mounted a Vortex crossfire red dot and zeroed at 25 yards. It held zero and held tight to the gun through about 300 rounds and several mag dumps. I''ll re-visit once I put more rounds through and make sure it's held zero.

Cool how the little red dot seems to co-witnesses well with the iron sights.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

AK’s hold their value surprisingly well. There doesn’t seem to be a steep drop in price even with the US made receiver Century guns now out there.

I’ve always preferred shooting the .30 cal bullet from an AK. Feels like serious work goin’ on at the business end. AR’s just kinda make funny noises when they cycle cute bitty bullets. 😬
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

AndyH wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 am
Bisbee wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:40 am ...AR’s just kinda make funny noises when they cycle cute bitty bullets. 😬
Next trip west I'll bring my AR and a box of cute bitty .308s. :lol:
Well I meant AR-15’s not the... Oh, never mind!

Bisbee wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm
AndyH wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 am
Bisbee wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:40 am ...AR’s just kinda make funny noises when they cycle cute bitty bullets. 😬
Next trip west I'll bring my AR and a box of cute bitty .308s. :lol:
Well I meant AR-15’s not the... Oh, never mind!
Those itty bitty 308s really are cute though.

GravyBoat wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm Installation was easy even with the magpul handguard.
That's a beautiful rifle you've got there! Magpul actually specifically designed their hand guards to accommodate the Ultimak rail. Mine is set up similarly, Ultimak with red Dot, Magpul furniture, and the addition of Tech-Sights rear aperture irons. :beer2:
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter