Which bolt-action would you choose?

Aside from my lever gun obsession I'm also looking at a future bolt-action rifle purchase. I've narrowed it down to these 4 choices but wanted your input as to which you think is the best and why. Leaning towards a .270 win. Thoughts? I think a couple of these retail around $1500 with the Sako and Mauser being at the upper end and closer to $2000.

- Kimber Classic

- Mauser M12

- Sako 85 Classic

- Winchester Model 70 Super Grade

Re: Which bolt-action would you choose?

eelj wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm What did you base your opinion on that led you too narrow the search down to these 4 rifles?
To be honest, I wanted something nice. Again, I know there are less expensive options out there that are good but I wanted something that at least holds some resale value as well (should it come to that). Also, my son will be starting kindergarten this Fall, so i'll have more expendable income at my disposal. I'm looking further down the road for a rifle purchase. I actually need to save up for a new vehicle so that's my first priority. I used to own a Browning A-Bolt Hunter model in .270 win, and that too was a nice gun, but I don't want to settle for something that costs less if I can afford to spend a little more. By all accounts, all of the companies i've mentioned offer fine rifles, which is why it's difficult to choose. I'm leaning heavily toward the Sako 85 or the Mauser M12.

Pre-64 Winchester 94's, on the other hand, are way out of my price range.

Sako will be slicker. Kimber will be lighter. I have never handled a current Mauser but they sure look nice. A Miroku-made Winchester will be near perfect in execution. I expect any would shoot well.

(Kimber sometimes has an issue with magazine boxes being bound up between action and the floor of the stock, which makes for some potential easy-to-fix accuracy funk)

Carl_Spackler wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:37 pm Aside from my lever gun obsession I'm also looking at a future bolt-action rifle purchase. I've narrowed it down to these 4 choices but wanted your input as to which you think is the best and why. Leaning towards a .270 win. Thoughts? I think a couple of these retail around $1500 with the Sako and Mauser being at the upper end and closer to $2000.

- Kimber Classic

- Mauser M12

- Sako 85 Classic

- Winchester Model 70 Super Grade
I am a FIRM believer in getting the firearm YOU want. Why I choose the rifles I choose probably won't help you too much. For example, I would buy a M70 without hesitation given their current reputation. But I am not so sure I would buy a super grade. physical "pretty' in a gun isn't generally that important to me. functionality, reliability, durability are all higher importance than looks. Me, I really like that ready for heavy and rough use that only parkerizing can give.

If money isn't an issue for you, and these are the type rifles YOU WANT, my two cents pick the one that "speaks to you" the most. some additional 2 cents of thoughts...

for me, first choice would be a toss up between the Winchester and the Sako. both have solid reputations right now. They both build solid rifles, that perform, will last and get the job done.

Kimber.... hard to say. Their stuff is far from junk, but some of the feed back on the internet suggests hit and miss in the accuracy department. Most of those comments I disregard because my personal 2 cents is most people's expectations of the Kimbers are misplaced for that the rifles are meant to be used for...many kimbers are very light and meant to be carried a lot hunting and shot very little. Their light weight does not make for competition level accuracy, but based on my very brief experience shooting Kimber mountain accent belonging to the guy next to me at the range...they can be plenty accurate for their intended use. BUT...there are a few bits of information floating around the internet that indicated Kimber (at least at one point) was struggling to build their light rifles to provide consistent results with each unit built. So a little hesitant to suggest going Kimber without doing another "google search/review" of current feed back. But I know that those that know and understand Kimbers love them. And I did enjoy that mountain accent. so...for what it's worth...my thoughts on kimber.

I don't anything about modern Mauser rifles. So no comment there.

The last thought...be sure to buy the rifle to match what you intend to do with it the most. For example, don't by a light kimber knowing that the range is where you will be shooting it the most. If you intend to spend most of the time you would use this rifle on the range, then you really do want to look at other options all together. None of your choices are rifles that I think of as shoot a lot at the range, carry in the field hunting only now and then. Be sure to match the rifle to what you will be doing the most with it.

I’ve thought on this a bit. Full disclosure I just picked up a Kimber.

Given that the Winchesters aren’t built in Japan, get an eye on one.

I’ve seen and handled a current Sako and while they are very nice, they maybe are a little sterile. Similar to the Kimber, but will need less fiddling to get first rate accuracy. I think to the eye and the hand, the Kimber is just as nice.

I think the Mauser is worth a good solid look.

I think you might also look at Cooper and Dakota.

You don’t need to handle the exact rifle you want, but you need to handle the current work of each maker, preferably in a style close to what you want. I think any of them will shoot well enough so feel free to pick the one that feels/looks/smells best to you.

308Scout wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 pm
Mason wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm Are any of them made in Japan? Or The Czech Republic?
To my knowledge none of the rifles the OP asks about are made in Japan or Czech Republic.

Winchester does have it's lever actions built in Japan, but it's model 70s are not.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/f ... tured.html
Interesting. I incorrectly assumed the M70's were made in Japan like the others. Can anyone speak to the quality of their Portuguese manufacturer?

Carl_Spackler wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:35 am
308Scout wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 pm
Mason wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 pm Are any of them made in Japan? Or The Czech Republic?
To my knowledge none of the rifles the OP asks about are made in Japan or Czech Republic.

Winchester does have it's lever actions built in Japan, but it's model 70s are not.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/f ... tured.html
Interesting. I incorrectly assumed the M70's were made in Japan like the others. Can anyone speak to the quality of their Portuguese manufacturer?
I personally haven't found anything to suggest poor quality. If you want to savings of a massed produced rifle with control round feed, from everything I can tell, the current production 70s are the way to go. Unless something changes, if I ever get around to buying a 30-06, the M70 is a top consideration. Kimber may or may not be up there too depending on what they offer at that time.

My Kimber 7mm08 weighs 6 1/2. I put the heavy Leupold scope to make it a little heavier and more comfortable to shoot. It shoots 3/4" groups with factory ammo. Most importantly it is a Yonkers, NY Kimber. I also have a Yonkers 22 which shoots great as well. In the past I tried 3 different Oregon Kimbers. All of them had various problems. Back them the owner of the company concentrated on PR and ignored quality. The newly reformed company, after his death, moved to NY and seems to have overcome all the previous problems.