CMP vintage sniper rifle

A few years back I grabbed this sporterized high-number Rock Island 1903at an auction with the plan of converting it into a 1903A1 USMC sniper rifle suitable for the CMP vintage sniper matches. My sons and I are planning to shoot in those matches.

It had the C stock and the scope mounting blocks already mounted. . The barrel was pristine and interestingly, is a less common Sedgeley.

I was satisfied this was a decent shooter after my son shot groups like this with the Redfield sight that was mounted on the gun.

I mounted an 8x Lyman Targetspot Junior for some long range work and the rifle shot very credibly at 550 yards.

I have run into some issues, however. Turns out that the C stock, a required element of the rifle, had been cut too short to use. The 8x Lyman scope, while legal, is so dim that it is far from optimal for use in the match. The scope blocks were good and properly drilled and tapped, but also were not optimal for the match. Bottom line, it needed some work. After a new stock, new scope blocks, the addition of a few missing parts, I got this...

I also bought an 8X Hilux reproduction Unertl scope, but discovered issues with it and it is currently back at Hilux getting repaired.

Re: CMP vintage sniper rifle

I bought from Creedmoor one of the '03-AFaux rifles assembled for them by Rock Ridge Machine in Pennsylvania, and have not managed to get 300 or 600 yard zeros with it. I may be able to compete with it next year. Friends who have competed in that match say to use a sling, not a sandbag.

I've used external adjustment scopes on an old .220 Swift rifle, but am much less comfortable with them.

Re: CMP vintage sniper rifle

NuJudge wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:46 pm I bought from Creedmoor one of the '03-AFaux rifles assembled for them by Rock Ridge Machine in Pennsylvania, and have not managed to get 300 or 600 yard zeros with it. I may be able to compete with it next year. Friends who have competed in that match say to use a sling, not a sandbag.

I've used external adjustment scopes on an old .220 Swift rifle, but am much less comfortable with them.
As you know, this is a team match, with two shooters. I'm making up a faux Swedish M41B sniper rifle for my son to use. I'm using a mixmaster Swedish M96 and an Accumount reproduction scope mount. There are apparently no rules that prevent both shooters using one rifle at 600 yards and the other at 300 yards and that is my intent. Seems like it would take some of the variables out of the equation by not running the scope elevation from 300 yards up to 600 yards.

RRM also made a 1903A1 USMC reproduction like the one I'm making up. When they stopped selling them they cost $2200. I have about half that amount into mine.

I've got several external adjustment scopes, including a Lyman Super Targetspot and a Fecker. They are kind of weird to use, but have huge amounts of elevation adjustment available.