The real reason the AR15 is popular

I bought a gun, but it didn't fill the hole in my soul that consumer capitalism has cultivated. Maybe these ten new parts will resolve that shortcoming.
The AR offers the buyer lots of modular "upgrades" to chase after, forever excusing the initial purchase's lack of satisfaction (which was inevitable because buying things doesn't make you emotionally satisfied with your life). Shooting isn't as easy or fun as you thought? You can just buy more stuff. Getting an AR didn't turn you in to a self-sufficient hero who has won the game of life? You can just buy more stuff. You have a quiet voice in the back of your head telling you you're incompetent, but you still don't want to practice? You can just buy more stuff. Tried one flavor and liked it, but maybe there's something better? You can just buy more stuff.

Of course, the selling side of the market loves this too. Rather than dissatisfaction leading to a change of interest, the consumer keeps buying stuff from the seller.

Re: The real reason the AR15 is popular

there are moments when i think about getting out. not just weeding out the out-of-category, but selling them all except 1 rifle and 1 pistol. how many do i need? how many will i *ever* need? sure, i target shoot some, and when the SHTF i'll need one, and i could easily let the market decide which by leaving me the unpopular rifle (trap door? krag? 1917?). selling the rest for what i have in them (never mind what they're "worth" today) would provide me a tidy bundle of cash, neaten up my storage space, less crap to clean and protect and move around. yes, the stories change from "this rifle here..." to "a rifle i once had...". what's the downside? is there a downside?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

So, Marlene - I'm not feeling the AR love here. :lol:

I'd be interested in reading the results of the survey that tries to capture why people assemble and/or shoot ARs. For me, it's a combination. I was trained on them while in uniform, and I prefer to DIY while learning every 'nook and cranny' of hardware. Additionally, because of the breadth of the aftermarket, one can assemble a custom firearm from components to fill just about any niche. Budget or high-end? Pistol? Very lightweight carbine? Hunting? Long range national match? It's the Ragu of rifles - "it's in there" ;)

308Scout wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:16 pm
AndyH wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:51 pm ... one can assemble a custom firearm from components to fill just about any niche. Budget or high-end? Pistol? Very lightweight carbine? Hunting? Long range national match? It's the Ragu of rifles - "it's in there" ;)
and yet it's still only a 223... :P
Unless you do the AR-10 route--then it's .308
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

AndyH wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:51 pm ... one can assemble a custom firearm from components to fill just about any niche. Budget or high-end? Pistol? Very lightweight carbine? Hunting? Long range national match? It's the Ragu of rifles - "it's in there" ;)
I figured you of all people would know better than that. :lol:

Is .22LR to .50 Beowulf the full range?

Edit...fixed the 5
Last edited by AndyH on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YankeeTarheel wrote:
and yet it's still only a 223...
Mine is neither a .223 nor an AR-10 .308. Mine is an AR-15 in 6.8 x 45 mm, aka .270 Light. Out to 300 yards or so I have 80% of the terminal energy of a .308, (without the weight of a .308) with just a smidgen more recoil than a .223 . No, it's not a sniper caliber, it's a hunting caliber. (All reports say that it's hell on hogs and deer.) And at $0.75 or more per round for the least expensive FMJ ammo, and $1.20 or more for serious ammo, it's not a multi mag dump, "shits & giggles" rifle, either.

Actually I have two of these, one a dedicated day hunting rifle, and the other a dedicated night hunting rifle (varmints).

Oh, and I have a .223 Wylde for cheap practice and "shits & giggles"...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

AndyH wrote:
I figured you of all people would know better than that.

Edit...fixed the 5
With a conspicuous gap at .22 WMR...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:51 pm
AndyH wrote:
I figured you of all people would know better than that.

Edit...fixed the 5
With a conspicuous gap at .22 WMR...
https://rimfireworld.com/brandes-magnum ... 15-uppers/

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:18 pm
well actually no...it's still just 223 because we are not talking about an AR-10, but the AR15.
they may share a lot of common concepts/parts, but they are not the same gun as there are critical differences too. it's like trying to claim humans and chimp are the same due to only 2% dna difference. we are close, but there are critical difference that make us not the same.
AndyH wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:15 pm
I figured you of all people would know better than that. :lol:

Edit...fixed the 5
I do, just couldn't resists the "poke" due to all the benefits listed. :lol:

I personally only count calibers that fit into an AR-15 magazine body dimensions though. Once you can't feed from the magazine that fits into an Ar-15 magazine/magazine well, it's no longer an "ar-15".

I bought an AR15 because I felt I needed to add a rifle to my home/personal protection collection. At the time I considered a lever in .357 or .44, a Mini-14 or the AR. Got my Del-Ton DTI Sport on a Black Friday special with no CA sales tax or CA DROS fee. Couldn’t be happier with the purchase. Other than adding a necessary MBUS, all I’ve bought for it is a red dot and talon grips. Didn’t fall into the accessorizing trap for the Barbie Doll of firearms.

There's definitely people who think expensive gear can substitute skill, but a lot of folks just want to personalize their stuff. There are millions of AR's, but this one is uniquely configured for me.

There aren't that many iPhone models, but there's a gajillion different cases sold for them. People want to feel that they're unique.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I hear yah. I actually find that I prefer platforms that I can monkey with less, not more. It's kind of like the culture you find in street racing...strap $5000 of crap to a $5000 car.

I'm down to three revolvers that fit three specific purposes and two rifles that do the same. Down to two calibers to stockpile (357 and 22lr) and one to reload (38 spc). More time at the range with specific platforms and less time at the workbench.

Once I pickup some offhand rifle experience, I'll probably buy a 308 rifle. But that's away off.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

:no: The "Barbie doll" for American men (and women)...
Customized personal expression for the discerning, self-described, "individualist" who doesn't wish to risk making a mistake standing out too much from the crowd.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The reason I bought an AR is because in the event the SHTF (and I believe it is increasingly possible) when the initial smoke clears there will be a plethora of ammunition and spare parts laying about to keep mine running and supplied. I think the reason the AR is so popular is that it is the standard (good, bad or otherwise, it wasn't my decision) and there are literally hundreds of thousands of these hanging around.

I own one because it is omnipresent in my area and when it hits the fan I have a parts and ammunition resource by picking up the dropped ones.

For fun and coolness I have better stuff but I maintain an AR as a Street Broom/SHTF gun. I suspect it's popularity among the Riff Raff/common folks is because a lot of them think the same way I do.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I spent a long time deciding between 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 5.56 as the sole intermediate caliber to stock. I excluded the 5.45 because its mostly imported and subject to import bans. I then concluded that the AR is a better platform for my purposes than the AK so I went with the 5.56 as its more accurate. Because I was buying prior to the Maryland FSA2013 coming into force, I simply bought AR15 receivers with plans to buy the other parts later. I later learned from watching InRange TV more about the AR as a platform and why it turned out to be accurate, reliable and lightweight. I also bought a Saiga .223 carbine. As much fun as the Saiga is to shoot, I not surprisingly find the AR to be more accurate. I think the other reason the AR is so popular is network effects.