Favorite cheap .22 semiauto?

My state is going to vote on an asinine initiative that (among other nasty provisions) designates ALL semi-auto rifles as "assault weapons," and I expect it will pass. Yes, even tube-fed .22s, which obviously are the most likely choice of weapon for the mass murderer, </sarcasm> would become evil assault weapons.

It's not a ban. There's a mishmash of enhanced background checks, police notification, state databases, training requirements, a state fee, purchasing age raised to 21, secure storage requirements and this little bombshell waiving your HIPPA rights (in perpetuity, as far as I can understand it; this requirement also applies to getting a CPL):
(1) The health care authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities shall, upon request of a court, ((or)) law enforcement agency, or the state, supply such relevant information as is necessary to determine the eligibility of a person to possess a ((pistol)) firearm or to be issued a concealed pistol license under RCW 9.41.070 or to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle under RCW 9.41.090."
Full text here: https://saveoursecurity.net/text-of-i-1639/ Note the heavy use of "FOR THE CHILDREN" appeals in the preamble.

About the only hope I have is that the state has a requirement that initiatives limit themselves to a single subject. Several badly written initiatives were invalidated in the past due to lumping overly disparate items together. Whether background checks, training, storage requirements and HIPPA waivers are all related to gun sales will be fought out in court, but I'm not optimistic, although the inclusion of HIPPA waivers for CPLs seems like a different subject *to me.* This initiative had very deep pockets backing it, and I assume they hired fairly competent lawyers to cram as much into this thing as possible while staying within what they think the typical judge will see as a "single subject." IANAL, so my guesses are probably terrible.

I have a Marlin (Glenfield) Model 60 already, although it was bought used in a regrettable transaction since it is unreliable and maybe hopelessly worn or bubba-ed. Just to be spiteful, I want to buy at least one other "rimfire assault platform" before the election. Probably not a 10/22, since the temptation to spend a lot playing Lego with upgrade parts is not something I'm looking for.

So, what evil rimfire rifle would you buy, and why? Current production, I guess, since my used gun buying record is poor.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Favorite cheap .22 semiauto?

Just to be a dick, I'd probably get an AR variant like the M&P. If you're going to go evil afterall..... But really, the 10/22 is probably a better choice. Just don't upgrade it- maybe get the takedown or something so you are less tempted?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

danhue wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:12 pm Consider buying a 10/22 receiver. If I recall correctly they’re less than $100 (stripped) at Brownells. You can build the rest of the gun later if you feel like it.
I have to admit, I've heard crazier ideas. At least, *I* wouldn't make you sign a HIPPA release for saying that, although Washington's Attorney General might. ;)

shinzen wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm Just to be a dick, I'd probably get an AR variant like the M&P. If you're going to go evil afterall..... But really, the 10/22 is probably a better choice. Just don't upgrade it- maybe get the takedown or something so you are less tempted?
As much as I'd LIKE to be a dick, I don't really find much appeal in the EBR look. I've shot one a couple of times (.223 version) and they're fine, but they don't turn my crank, and the .22LR types leave me particularly cold (yet I see the appeal of a .22LR conversion for a centerfire AR, so if I wanted a centerfire AR then I probably *would* want that option...weirdly enough).

The 10/22 takedown is tempting. I have tried to convince myself a couple of times in the past year or two that I should get one. Never quite made it over the hump since I don't see an immediate need for it, but in principle it is a cool idea. For backpacking (which I very rarely do) I'd rather have a large pistol in a chest pack.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm Or, to put a more liberal slant on it, why TF would you decide you need a semi-auto 22 just before that probable ban, if you have not felt the need for one beforehand?

Still boggles the mind how that apparently works. :confused:
Hah! Answered my own question by re-reading your first. "Just to be spiteful...."

Nemmind - carry on! :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm Or, to put a more liberal slant on it, why TF would you decide you need a semi-auto 22 just before that probable ban, if you have not felt the need for one beforehand?

I already have one, but it doesn't work very well. I'd like one that is better. Throwing up more roadblocks to getting it makes the need more immediate, instead of "someday I should get on that, but whenever is fine."

Also, being told you aren't supposed to want something seems to induce a contrary desire for it in quite a few people.

Not a 10/22?

Get yer self another Marlin 60 then. One that is actually reliable. Preferably one with a squirrel on the wood stock so all squirrels run in fear upon seeing it.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

(1) The health care authority, mental health institutions, and other health care facilities shall, upon request of a court, ((or)) law enforcement agency, or the state, supply such relevant information as is necessary to determine the eligibility of a person to possess a ((pistol)) firearm or to be issued a concealed pistol license under RCW 9.41.070 or to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle under RCW 9.41.090."
Unless there is more that I'm missing, this is so broad you could drive a bulldozer through it. It's arbitrary, what criteria do police use in making a referral to a MH professional and what criteria do MH pros use to determine someone shouldn't have a firearm. A criminal background check is fairly objective: felony, DV orders/convictions, felony charges, committed to a MH facility etc. Hope some legal beagles have started on some briefs to challenge this. Sounds like WA has too many californicators who've moved there and contaminated their politics. :)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:11 pm
Unless there is more that I'm missing, this is so broad you could drive a bulldozer through it. It's arbitrary, what criteria do police use in making a referral to a MH professional and what criteria do MH pros use to determine someone shouldn't have a firearm. A criminal background check is fairly objective: felony, DV orders/convictions, felony charges, committed to a MH facility etc. Hope some legal beagles have started on some briefs to challenge this. Sounds like WA has too many californicators who've moved there and contaminated their politics. :)
It'as arbitrary, but it does in part define "eligibility of a person to possess a ((pistol)) firearm ..." so if you buy, and fall foul of the regs, you may have it taken away.....
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Damn it! I just stopped by the Big5 near my house and they have a 10/22 carbine on sale for $239. After the stupid $25Seattle city gun tax, I could save $100 if I drove to the suburbs and bought a Model 60, but this is SOOO convenient, and cheap for a 10/22 (I think of them as starting at a little over $300). And the sights were nicer than the other cheap .22 they had (a Savage 64F with a mildly pathetic plastic stock). And it has a nice, robust feel. OTOH, it sucks that it doesn't include a scope base.

Is the magazine release lever sticking out of the bottom prone to breakage?

Find an old Remington 541. Probably the best 22 auto ever made. It's the Browning takedown model, but JMB originally sold the design to Remington. They built it nicer than Browning does now, and it's a proper full-sized rifle for an adult.

It's tube-fed through the butt, and you can put ten rounds in to a piece of 1/4" ID aluminum tube, plug the ends with corks and voila: speedloaders!

Marlene wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 pm It's tube-fed through the butt, and you can put ten rounds in to a piece of 1/4" ID aluminum tube, plug the ends with corks and voila: speedloaders!
Couldn't you do that with any tube-mag rifle? I was thinking an hour ago that you could carry a whole bunch of those in a quiver, like arrows!

A shop fairly near me has a Mossberg 351C that loads like that, for $165. Nice Monte Carlo stocks on those if photos on the intertubes can be trusted. Know anything else about those? Maybe I can get them to come down a few bucks on the price using the threat of I-1639.

no mystery here.

1. telling people NO! you can't have that....is like tempting them to do just that...where as if you had not said "No!!!" they would never have done it in the first place.
2. changing interests. sometimes due to age, financial situations, or any of a 1000 or more reasons someone's interests change and where you felt no need/want before, you now have a need/want.
3. age, health, physical ability changes (kind of dup to age in some cases) that require you change what you shoot
4. financial reasons. you want, but due to financial reasons you put off because there is always tomorrow...until there isn't.

just a few reasons that came to mind quickly. sure there is more.

I bought a 10/22 a few years ago. It’s a fun little gun for the grandkids to shoot. Only thing I don’t like about it is the magazine is tough to get out because it’s the 10 round only kind. Nothing to really grab hold of and it doesn’t drop free. I had a Marlin 60 as a kid. Maybe I’ll get another one