Re: A note about CZ Ultra Lux rifles

sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm Nice! At our last Texas outing ran into a guy with a CZ 452 and he had put some BRNO peeps on it, want!
OK, so where would a gal go about getting one of these? I googled and only got articles about them and ebay for similar things. Anyone have a link for this????
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:11 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm Nice! At our last Texas outing ran into a guy with a CZ 452 and he had put some BRNO peeps on it, want!
OK, so where would a gal go about getting one of these? I googled and only got articles about them and ebay for similar things. Anyone have a link for this????
Hunt eBay and miscellaneous places. Unfortunately BRNO rifles were sort of the predecessor of CZ rifles. These particular type of sights were made decades ago for BRNO rifles. This guy got these through a seller of these who was on a CZ forum over a decade ago. So it’s search and get lucky. I don’t recall if it was the BRNO model 1 rifle these were made for or perhaps model 2.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Ok memory was a bit off. If you want to search for these type of sights, it’s for a “BRNO Model 4 target rifle sights”. Also he said it needed slight adjustment on the sight rail to make them fit. Clamp sides a bit.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
C0B0C074-2F66-48D6-AD90-9C910C0D15C0.jpeg
DA2DBC34-7B00-4B05-A62B-1D3D8F79BFE5.jpeg

Found the base frame for the rear sight. It’s a BRNO Model 4 / ZKM 456 rear aperture target sight. I’ll have to look more for the accessories and the front matching globe sight. Figured, it would give me a challenge to find the rest of the set.

Attachments
F610A703-36B4-4CD0-85D3-D5CCE86A1C17.jpeg
3EBA08EF-3D17-4ECD-AB1F-A81E09D5EEE3.jpeg
207AEC7C-895A-4F15-BA7C-A24EDF58C375.jpeg

I took my Ultra Lux with the .17 HMR barrel to the range today and shot about 100 rounds of 17 grain Hornaday V-Max ammo. I had some issues with the Warne quick disconnect rings loosening and I chased my tail on that for a while. I don’t want thread locker on them since I want to also shoot it with the .22 barrel and iron sights.

After I got it settled down I shot some five round groups at 75 yards. It’s darned accurate. The was some wind and I was on a really crappy bench. The POI moved around a bit, which I ascribe to the barrel heating up. I had forgotten how hot these little hummers are and I was shooting pretty fast.

Bottom line is that it is easy to shoot dime-sized groups at 75 yards off a bipod and rear bag. Next time I will try shooting off a rest and better bench at 100 meters.

Here are some groups with dimes.

A note about CZ Ultra Lux rifles

One MOA, GOT IT!

I took the Ultra Lux with the American barrel to the range this morning. I set up on the only decent bench at the range at 100 m, so about 110 yards

I shot groups with Hornaday VMAX 17 grain ammunition add CCI TNT 20 grain hollow points. I learned a few things. The barrel does get hot and you can see the groups trailing off as it heats up. I curbed my enthusiasm and reduced my rate of fire.

The Hornaday ammo would not group worth a damn but the CCI shot well. Here’s an image. Top two are the CCI; bottom, the Hornaday.

The top groups measured 0.87 and 1.01 MOA. I did not measure the bottom two.

I’m really happy with this rifle.

Bucolic wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 am

While I was there I talked to the owner, and he told me that CZ is no longer making the Ultra Lux so, if you have a serious Jones for a new Ultra Lux,get out there and find one. If you have an Ultra Lux, enjoy it. It’s destined to be a classic.
Somehow I missed all this. So are you saying I own a future classic?
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain