H&K begins M27 IAR shipments to US Marines.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/02/19/hk ... eliveries/

H&K Begins M27 IAR Deliveries
Even though the US Marine Corps Issues a sole source contract to purchase additional M27 Infantry Assault Rifles to German manufacturer Heckler & Koch last April, the service had to wait for funding. An H&K employee mentioned to me during last month’s SHOT Show that deliveries would begin now that funding is in place.

Today, H&K released these photos of M27s be prepped for shipment to the Marines from their warehouse in Georgia.

For those of you unfamiliar with the M27 IAR, it was first adopted by the Marines in 2010. Made in Germany, the IAR is based on the HK416, a piston driven 5.56mm rifle. The concept behind the IAR was to supplant the belt-fed M249 Squad Automatic Weapon in the Infantry Squad with the more compact box-fed design of the M27.

In 2017, the Corps decided to expand the M27’s role, with the plan of issuing it to all members of the rifle platoon. This decision of limited fielding, based on Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen Robert Neller’s saying, “All Marines are riflemen, but not all Marines are infantrymen,” resulted in the sole source contract awarded last year.

Re: H&K begins M27 IAR shipments to US Marines.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:22 am Seems inevitable they would want to change to piston rifles.

I've been considering a MR556A1 as a piston-based alternative to some of my direct impingement rifles. If it turned out to be a clear winner, I would want to sell off some of the others. The H&K is far from short money.
Suckers are expensive as hell but are getting sales. The British, USA, and Germans have bought batches of HK416 rifles. Germans say they want a cheaper rifle for wider deployment. French have evidently chosen the HK416 to replace the FAMAS.

I personally am waiting to see. Like you said, the MR556A1/HK416 isn't cheap.

Re: H&K begins M27 IAR shipments to US Marines.

Still have not pulled the trigger on an MR556A1, and now it looks like the Haenel CR223 pistol, which will be imported by B&T, might be a serious competitor. Both have ambi selectors One of the things that really stands out for me in both the MR556A1 and the CR223 is the unique BCG design. The spring around the firing pin and behind the bolt to keep it forward in the BCG is handy, as is the lack of gas rings. Those worried about slamfire might like the firing pin safety both of them have. The tool-less disassembly of the BCG, wherein not even the tip of a round or a paperclip is needed, is a nice touch as well. No gas adjustment on the Haenel, though. Like the Haenel CR223, the MR556A1 can be put on safe while not cocked.

There were some MR223 pistols at Arms Unlimited that were listed at over $4K. They are now out of stock. A benefit of the MR223A3 receiver over the MR556A1 is the excellent ambi bolt catch release implementation.

Given the sophistication of HK's barrel manufacturing process, if one wants this in an SBR, it would make more sense to work backward from the pistol's receiver than to have the barrel cut down on a rifle, given the problems the latter could entail. But in that scenario, I would want an 11" barrel rather than a 14.5" barrel.