New (to me) FN Mauser

I picked up a FN Mauser in .308 mail order a few weeks ago. It has a 17.5" barrel with bright good looking rifling. It doesn't have many markings besides "FAB NAT. D'ARMSES GUERRE HERSTEAL BELGEOUS" and two digits on the receiver, some evidence a crest was ground off at some point in its history, a proof mark on barrel right next to the receiver one is an "R" with a Star over it and the other is a Crown, Circle and "ELG". The rifle has a plug in the front of the magazine so the rifle was originally chambered in a longer cartridge. The bolt, safety and other parts are mismatched.

The Barrel has importer information: SARCO, MIA FL. 308W MOD 1935S.

I also will be taking it to a gunsmith. At a minimum its missing the action locking screws and the ejector needs adjustment or replacement. From a quick Google it may be a Belgian or Paraguayan rifle. If I still can't figure out what it is, I will get a book on FN rifles.

Re: New (to me) FN Mauser

Cool rifle. Can you get more detailed pictures? FN sold to so many countries. Greece, China, Venezuala,Peru in several calibers.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

Marlene wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:36 pm I think those stubby m1935s are usually Peruvian
So the original caliber would've been 7.65x53 Argentine IIRC
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

The extractor is a part you can replace yourself. A lot of Mauser extractors are made with the expectation that you will insert all cartridges into the magazine, then feed them into the chamber by operating the bolt. On these rifles, if you directly insert a cartridge into the chamber, then close the bolt, you will damage the extractor.

Extractors can be modified to allow direct feeding of ammo to the chamber, but I would suggest you leave it as Peter Paul Mauser designed it, and get some chargers to feed ammo into it.

I miss typed. The Extractor is fine. The Ejector is what needs replacement. I will try to do the work myself but if I need to have the lock screws modified, I may just have the gunsmith do all of it. I think I see how to get it apart and back together but don't have the tools or a proper work bench (I live in a condo) with vise, a Jawhorse may not be the best choice to hold that sort of piece.