80% AR Lower

Who has done one and what tips/advice would you offer. I’m getting an itch. Less about the “under the radar” aspect more about the challenge of doing it. I don’t have a mill or anything but do have a nice table top drill press. Not interested in buying a jig unless I can talk a friend into going in on it with me. There appear to be some creative home built jigs out on YouTube. So I’m wondering if it might be doable with end mills and drill bits. Blemished AR10 lower for $65. AR15 for $40-50 depending on whether you want forged, milled etc.

I have the strangest sense of deja vu. Hoping I’m not repeating myself in asking this.

Re: 80% AR Lower

I’m not sure you can successfully mill a AR lower on a drill press without a jig. Do you already have experience or tools (X-Y cross-slide vice clamps) to mill metal on your drill press?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:I’m not sure you can successfully mill a AR lower on a drill press without a jig. Do you already have experience or tools (X-Y cross-slide vice clamps) to mill metal on your drill press?
I have an x/y vise (albeit a cheap one). My brother (ex-Machinist instructor) has a table top metal lathe/mill and access to a lot of equipment, but I don’t want to “cheat”. That said, as I dig further I’m thinking a commercial jig may be the only realistic approach ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Cheating” would be bringing over the 80% lower and a 12-pack of PBR and watching your brother do the work while appearing impressed.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

PSA had lowers for$30 the other day. I’m a hack machinist and would totally not bother with an 80% without a really good reason.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

senorgrand wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm I think 80% AR lowers are kind of lame. I actually like the Glock ones though...
If people make 80% lowers for gen 4 Glocks, I would totally buy one. Nobody makes them because Glock apparently promises to sue anybody who does. The company is ok with after market lowers for gen 3.
Glad that federal government is boring again.