Re: polytech m14/s any good?

just had poly apart into groups, weighed them. rounded lbs up to nearest hundredth.
barrelled action with trigger group - 2781 grams, 6.13 lb
stock w/steel buttplate, bipod, cheekpad - 1953 grams, 4.31 lb
scope w/aluminum mount, screws - 906 grams, 2.0 lb
total of above - 5640 grams, 12.43 lb
and some details,
steel buttplate, 204 grams, .45 lb (already included in above total)
bipod, 254 grams, .56 lb. (already included in above total)
loaded steel 20 rd mag, 723 grams, 1.59 lb.
complete rifle w/ loaded mag, 6363 grams, 14.03 lbs.
not quite 15 :D
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

was talking with a guy on a forum about poly the polyech yesterday and got off on a tangent:

"i think it's interesting and maybe a little troubling how big a place in my life guns have taken on. if it weren't for the guns themselves (shooting, tinkering, reading up on the history and technology and tactical and social interplay), and reloading, i don't know how i'd be spending most of my days. 30 years ago this would have been unthinkable, now it looks kind of obsessive. i don't know that i need another hobby, maybe just a different one.

don't tell poly."

Day trading? Sculpting?

Seriously, lurker, 30 years ago you didn't have time to do this. Life is often consumed by work/career. Life changes.

How is this any worse than spending your time getting those flower beds "just right"? That perfect pear tree? Cooking?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

steel flip-up buttplate, 204 grams. rubber masen buttpad, 92 grams, saves a whole 1/4 lb.
promag 10-rd mags don't lock in. should probably send them back, but will try to fit by filing on them a bit. got all of my packages, except still waiting on sarco for ship notification.

i'd read the reviews, bought them anyway, quickly discovered they wouldn't lock in. fixed that with a hacksaw and file today. you can see how much metal i had to remove. next, do they feed properly? that will require a range trip. will touch up the finish with a sharpie. i feel so presidential!
LUGO2494.JPG

K9s wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:39 pmI hope it feeds.
yeah, me too, we'll find out in the next week or so. i haven't shot it since i swapped the buttpad and added the clip-guide scope mounting point. now i need a bigger rifle case to accommodate the semi-permanent scope.
it's only a hobby, it's only a hobby, it's only a hobby.... :crazy: